Thread: 2 ton res ac

2 ton res ac

I recently installed a 2 ton, which was sized as, and am having a difficult time getting the space to cool down past 74.
    Long story short, air handler is in attic, condenser at ground level. air handler is txv, r-22, has sight glass and drier. i have tried to charge via sight glass, by feel of suction line, and superheat/subcooling (not efficient in either). i do not believe there is a receiver in unit.
    I once had same scenario a while back turned out was overcharged as i charged by sight glass.
    Thanks for the advise,
    Matt

You got lucky with fixing your own fridge:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....usehold-fridge
    Time to call a pro.

You need to charge it to the manufactures subcooling, somewhere in the 8-12* range usually.

Charge by manufacturers specs as jtrammel said. Post SC, SH, pressures, refrigerant, air temp entering/leaving, and we will be better able to tell the problem.

I have a house fridge I am working on, actually is mine and am contractor but not very proficient in refrigeration
    Based on that, call a pro, you are going to hurt yourself or that unit

If it's "recently installed" why is it R22? Did you install a whole system or just do a condenser swap?
    What pressure readings are you getting? What is discharge air temp from the registers?

Quote Originally Posted by ctpiper View Post
    I recently installed a 2 ton, which was sized as, and am having a difficult time getting the space to cool down past 74.
    Long story short, air handler is in attic, condenser at ground level. air handler is txv, r-22, has sight glass and drier. i have tried to charge via sight glass, by feel of suction line, and superheat/subcooling (not efficient in either). i do not believe there is a receiver in unit.
    I once had same scenario a while back turned out was overcharged as i charged by sight glass.
    Thanks for the advise,
    Matt
    If you want to check charge via sight glass, elevate head pressure to 325.
    Some old units charged with this procedure.