Need advice on choosing Coleman vs Carrier Air/furnace

I live in the East and I am trying to replace my two RUUD 30 year old air conditioners/furnaces (I have a two zone heating and cooling) which operated this long without any problem, until recently- one is a two and a half ton and the other one is a 4 ton. We hardly use our air conditioners and thus 13 seers will be fine. Also we keep our house very cold, and like the nights cool thus keep the thermostats at 48 degree max at night. Both guys told us that it will be foolish to go with 80 AFCUs, since state and power company rebates (combined) of $1500 and 400 federal tax credit for high efficiency furnaces can cover most of the 96 AFCU furnace costs. Among several quotes that I have received two looked promising in terms of pricing.
    One is a Coleman 13 seer and two stage 96 AFCU (do not know model numbers)
    and the other one is Carrier 13 seer, singe stage 96 AFCU (PERFORMANCE™ BOOST 90 59SP5 (100000 and 60000 BTUs replacing my 30 year old 75000 and 115000 BTU furnaces).
    We are not able to decide since we do not know enough about the manufactures/reliabilities and these offerings to decide which one is a better deal. Also we are not sure why the Carrier guy proposed 100K and 60 K BTU furnaces. The Coleman guy will probably match the furnace capacities closed to the existing ones.
    Both said they will give programmable thermostats – but which kind should I be asking for?
    Coleman is giving a 10 year labor and 10 year parts warranty whereas Carrier is giving 5 yr labor and 10 year parts.
    We will sincerely appreciate your expert advice from this forum.

Well lets consider what you do know. Your existing Ruud equipment gave you 30 years of nearly trouble free service. That YOU know. Anything you think you know about other brands is hearsay. I myself would not even consider a manufacturer change with that record. IMHO Rheem/Ruud are the best value, bang for buck, in the residential industry. And I don't work for a Rheem/Ruud distributor my shop doesn't offer the line. When I built my first house Rheem equipment is what I put in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Well lets consider what you do know. Your existing Ruud equipment gave you 30 years of nearly trouble free service. That YOU know. Anything you think you know about other brands is hearsay. I myself would not even consider a manufacturer change with that record. IMHO Rheem/Ruud are the best value, bang for buck, in the residential industry. And I don't work for a Rheem/Ruud distributor my shop doesn't offer the line. When I built my first house Rheem equipment is what I put in it.
    You can't beat Rheem and Ruud value line furnaces and condensers. I also put in my own house.

I'm not a brand basher, nor a brand flag waver. I like the Rheem / Ruud quality a lot for residential equipment. I have it in my home. Coincidentally, I serviced a 32 year old Rheem AC this week. It was a rather poorly built spec home, marginal ductwork, and the condenser was installed 8" from the dryer vent. It had not been serviced in it's lifetime. Yes, it was a damn mess, cycling on internal pressure relief, and extreme head pressure. It also had the original condenser fan motor! Normally, I wouldn't even consider servicing a unit of this age, but the customer is broke, hot, and in tears, so I gave it a shot. I was stunned. After a coil clean, and a superheat charge, it came back into balance. FLA was somewhat low, but WTF, after 30+ years in this business my FLA is kinda low, too. I couldn't believe the compressor still had valves. I wish I had taken pictures for the WOS.

Any brand. Not any installer.

Not the Coleman!! Nothing but problems!

I prefer name brands, seems strange to me to by a furnace a/c from a company that builds camping equipment but that's just me.
    I am running a lennox, but agree carrier is good, have not done a lot on the rheem or Ruud's.

Coleman is made by York, the company that cools places like the Capitol Building, the old World Trade Center, The English Chanel tunnel etc.

The way these guys size furnaces scares me. Sizing to what's there is totally wrong. How does anyone know it was done right 30 years ago? Back then gas was cheap, furnaces not efficient and nobody worried about oversizing. Now with expensive gas, super efficient furnaces that don't like to short cycle, getting the right size unit is critical. These guys need to measure the home and prepare a heat loss calculation to size the suckers right. 160,000 BTU of 95% furnace better bet a big, leaky house!

Cycling the new furnaces with 48* return air will be interesting.
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.