Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    I used to use that scam all the time, it works well, most people know you are just trying to get money for drugs but when asked they feel the need to help, human nature. We all want to be needed for some reason. Also when times are hard total strangers will help you before friends maybe cause they don't know your character or they are good natured. It really is like any type of sales in a way its a numbers game. Around here they all just hang signs at intersections and beg for money that way. Parents have there children beg for money at intersections for their sports teams it has gotten really bad every weekend children running up to your car begging for money.
    So how much do you give them?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I had an old, old local bum approach me in a gas station recently. His skin was weathered but his eyes were very blue. When he gave me that story he looked at me like he's tired of using it but it's all he's got.

I gave him two bucks and he looked me straight in the eye and with all sincerity he said "please don't hate me". I said "man, I don't hate you, have a real nice day".

FWIW - Just something to think about. I believe in angels making appearances here on earth. This fit that description. Two bucks is nothing to us. You should judge each one separately. Besides, what should that old man do, crawl in a corner and die?
    Used to be I would make a real stink about how hard I had to work for the money these 'bums' wanted me to give them for doing nothing. Always told them to 'get lost'.

Lately, I'm been thinking how blessed I have been, always seem to be able to make ends meet and don't have the problems these people have, self inflicted or not.

I rebuked myself as to my lack of charity towards these people, even if their story is BS. If they are making $500 a day, they sure don't look it. Maybe its going to a drug habit, but thank God it's not 'my' habit.

Just some thoughts.

- Six months back- Sh*tty side of town. Young black girl approached my friend and I outside of the gym. We had just finished a workout and were BS'ing in the parking lot. She had a story about how she and her kids were homeless and she was $17 short on rent at the motel where they had been staying, and the owner wouldn't let her back in to get their stuff. No kids in tow. My buddy gave her a $20. Yesterday, same girl, same story. Guess she didn't remember me.

- Last year- Rotund guy in a wheelchair approached me in the parking lot of a coffee shop. Says he's a disabled veteran. Needs $5 for a meal. I took a $5 out and gave it to him. Then I asked him what unit he served with. "Uhhh, uhhh." Next time I'll ask first. I don't mind helping a disabled person, but I hate liars.

Quote Originally Posted by timberlinemd View Post
    Used to be I would make a real stink about how hard I had to work for the money these 'bums' wanted me to give them for doing nothing. Always told them to 'get lost'.

Lately, I'm been thinking how blessed I have been, always seem to be able to make ends meet and don't have the problems these people have, self inflicted or not.

I rebuked myself as to my lack of charity towards these people, even if their story is BS. If they are making $500 a day, they sure don't look it. Maybe its going to a drug habit, but thank God it's not 'my' habit.

Just some thoughts.
    You sir, IMHO have the right attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    - Six months back- Sh*tty side of town. Young black girl approached my friend and I outside of the gym. We had just finished a workout and were BS'ing in the parking lot. She had a story about how she and her kids were homeless and she was $17 short on rent at the motel where they had been staying, and the owner wouldn't let her back in to get their stuff. No kids in tow. My buddy gave her a $20. Yesterday, same girl, same story. Guess she didn't remember me.

- Last year- Rotund guy in a wheelchair approached me in the parking lot of a coffee shop. Says he's a disabled veteran. Needs $5 for a meal. I took a $5 out and gave it to him. Then I asked him what unit he served with. "Uhhh, uhhh." Next time I'll ask first. I don't mind helping a disabled person, but I hate liars.
    Did you ever see the movie "Trading Places"? That reminds me of a scene in the beggining of the movie where Eddie Murphy is acting like a disabled Vietnam Vet, and the cops come up and question him. They one cop served in Nam and asks him what unit he served in. I can't exactly remember his response, but it is some made up crap like, Lang Lim, Ye Yong, Dong Guang or some kind of made up jazz like that. That is a funny movie.

Thanks for posting that movie clip.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    I seen ,dude in LOS ANGELES scary as heck, He just had a cup in his hand sitting on the sidewalk.
    Funny I saw him in downtown Atlanta. He was in a motorized wheel chair about 40 or so, a little thin, estimated 6', medium dark complected Black, fairly intelligent looking and I saw him about 6 months ago I think. Did he match that description some what? Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Probably most of these people you all are talking about do it as their "Job". I never give money to people like this. You are not doing them any favors by helping them feed their addictions. There are lots of places around here for them to eat and have shelter when it gets real cold in the winter. If you want to help them and you feel they really need something, ask them if they would like a hamburger or something like that. But I bet they will say, no thanks because they are trolling for money from suckers. If you want to take another step to help them, give to a local homeless shelter. Let the professionals deal with them where they need the help. They need drug and alcohol treatment and or abuse counseling etc.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Super Tech JJ View Post
    Probably most of these people you all are talking about do it as their "Job". I never give money to people like this. You are not doing them any favors by helping them feed their addictions. There are lots of places around here for them to eat and have shelter when it gets real cold in the winter. If you want to help them and you feel they really need something, ask them if they would like a hamburger or something like that. But I bet they will say, no thanks because they are trolling for money from suckers. If you want to take another step to help them, give to a local homeless shelter. Let the professionals deal with them where they need the help. They need drug and alcohol treatment and or abuse counseling etc.
    Do you really think they all fall into the same category? That is "looking for suckers"?

Why can't some of them be truly down and out, unemployable, socially defeated, and just beaten down to a life on the streets? What's wrong with giving them a buck for a pack of smokes or a half pint of JD. It's probably their only enjoyment in life.

I use to get asked for $$ often by the same guy outside one of my customers stores.. One day he said he was trying to get money together to buy something to eat... This was in a day I had just paid a retainer fee to my divorce lawyer... I was broke... He said he had $3 and needed another $2 to buy a sandwich!! I replied you got $3 , I've only got two his about giving me a dollar so I can buy lunch??? Lol he left me alone after that!!

Saturday night I walked out of a restaurant with a doggy bag with a tasty pulled pork slider sandwich. Walking back to my car I saw a guy digging through a trash can. I went out of my way to walk over to him and offer him my sandwich. He gladly took it and gobbled it down.

How does that fit some of your guy's stereotypes?

Enabling them in their addiction is not helping them any. That is why I said let the professionals deal with them. Give money to the shelters!They will get proper help through those resources. I have no problem with offering someone a sandwich or a water or something like that. I do however know that a lot of people on the streets are using the kind people that they can take advantage of and that is feeding their habits. If they don't have to go to the professionals to get their assistance, addiction can go on forever. Some people are down and out on their luck but probably most of them have mental issues that are going untreated and that is why they are on the street to begin with. Maybe they were being abused as well, but I am not able to help with any of those types of things and enabling them to stay on the street will not get them clean or safe!.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.
    Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast