Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I just need $5 for gas to get home

Have you all been hit up by this? It's happened many times to me here in Texas, but I also got hit with it a lot when I lived in Seattle. I'll bet in the past 5 years, I've been hit with this 20 or 30 times. I got hit with it again today here where I live. Only this guy had a different version of it. He need $5 for gas to make it to work tomorrow, and he got paid tomorrow. Then he said he would pay me back and asked me if I still lived in the same room? I said I did, but he didn't know what room I lived in--haha. I gave him the $5. I don't have very much money myself, so, lately I've said said, "sorry no". Or I'll say that I'm tired of hearing that story.

Anybody else know what I'm talking about, or is this just a scam directed towards white middle aged men that appear to be middle class? Do you give them 5 bucks?

At one account that I service, there is a lady who wanders around with a similar story.

She and her husband are going through a messy divorce and he has frozen her accounts and she needs a little money for gas to get back home.

She's not an unattractive middle-aged woman.

I never carry cash, so I cannot help her.

It's a scam. Guy asked me for a few bucks for gas once on my way in to work, said his van run out a few blocks away. I don't carry cash but I have a good bit of change in my cup holder so I give him a small handful, maybe 3 bucks worth. 2 months later, the same guy, same story, didn't even recognize me. This time I was leaving work. I didn't let on that he had hit me up before. I told him I had a gas can in the back of the truck and I would put 10 bucks in it with my debit card and I would take him to his van we could get him on his way and he could pay me back. He said no, he didn't want to put me out that much did I just have 2 dollars CASH I could give him and he would care of it. All he wanted was cash. At that point I told him to take a good long look at my truck and commit it to memory, and dont f with me again.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

I used to service a Supermarket in Gardena Ca. Nearly every time I went there a dude would ask for quarter so he could make a phone call to get a ride home. I just told him I sold my last one. True story.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

I used to use that scam all the time, it works well, most people know you are just trying to get money for drugs but when asked they feel the need to help, human nature. We all want to be needed for some reason. Also when times are hard total strangers will help you before friends maybe cause they don't know your character or they are good natured. It really is like any type of sales in a way its a numbers game. Around here they all just hang signs at intersections and beg for money that way. Parents have there children beg for money at intersections for their sports teams it has gotten really bad every weekend children running up to your car begging for money.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

If they washed my truck I may give them 5 bucks...depends on how good of a job they did.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

had a guy come up to me and said his car ran out of gas and his pregnant wife is waiting in the car, could he have $5 for gas, i gave it to him. Week later same guy same story (I said im not falling for that one you hit me up last week with the same thing. He started laughing and walked away.)

Had a guy in a wheel chair ask me if I could spare some change. I just looked at him for a second then he lifted his hat and the top right half of his skull was gone just covered with skin. I almost got sick and was in shock. I gave him a 20.

Normally I don't give beggars change since that just encourages them to beg all the time but this time was different and he BTW he was Black for all those out there who think I'm prejudiced and would only help those of my kind so to speak. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Here around the Portland/Vancover area we just had a guy ask a woman in a store parking lot for change and when she refused he tried to kidnap her. She got away and the guy was later arrested. I get approach on a regular basis, I just tell them back away, I don't know you. I use to carry food vouchers for the homeless shelters and after getting read the riot act by these people for not having money and claiming to need help, I stopped. The last time I gave some money to somebody, he was standing at a bus pass vender and looking kinda lost he spotted me and ask for 1.38 so he could get a bus pass to get home, I gave him a 5.

We have a drug addict who's job is to panhandle at baggage claim at the Philly airport. His story is he needs money for the commuter train to an outlying community. He's there every day and the cops tell me there's nothing they can do about it because he's learned not to hassle people and he behaves. They tell me he makes about $200-500/ day. What a wonderful world.

I had an old, old local bum approach me in a gas station recently. His skin was weathered but his eyes were very blue. When he gave me that story he looked at me like he's tired of using it but it's all he's got.

I gave him two bucks and he looked me straight in the eye and with all sincerity he said "please don't hate me". I said "man, I don't hate you, have a real nice day".

FWIW - Just something to think about. I believe in angels making appearances here on earth. This fit that description. Two bucks is nothing to us. You should judge each one separately. Besides, what should that old man do, crawl in a corner and die?

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Had a guy in a wheel chair ask me if I could spare some change. I just looked at him for a second then he lifted his hat and the top right half of his skull was gone just covered with skin. I almost got sick and was in shock. I gave him a 20.

Normally I don't give beggars change since that just encourages them to beg all the time but this time was different and he BTW he was Black for all those out there who think I'm prejudiced and would only help those of my kind so to speak. Thank you very much
    I seen that dude in LOS ANGELES scary as heck, He just had a cup in his hand sitting on the sidewalk.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I had an old, old local bum approach me in a gas station recently. His skin was weathered but his eyes were very blue. When he gave me that story he looked at me like he's tired of using it but it's all he's got.

I gave him two bucks and he looked me straight in the eye and with all sincerity he said "please don't hate me". I said "man, I don't hate you, have a real nice day".

FWIW - Just something to think about. I believe in angels making appearances here on earth. This fit that description. Two bucks is nothing to us. You should judge each one separately. Besides, what should that old man do, crawl in a corner and die?
    Oh, I'm not saying not to give them money. A few times I told them to shut up because I didn't want to hear that stupid story. I told them I knew they didn't really need it for gas and gave it to them anyway. But I think from now on if I hear that story again, I'm just going to say no. I'm going to say no because of their dishonesty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast