Thread: top 5 brands

Aaon and then everything else

York
    Luxaire
    Coleman
    Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    Aaon and then everything else
    Their factory brazed joints look like my 5 year old did them, other than that they seem ok.

I like rheem's A/H and rectangle condensers. Their high static packs are dumb, huge condenser compartment but everything crammed together in the corner, and their cube units are also very frustrating.

Pretty much anything within the last 5 years has something dumb, angled copper lines, angled drain line's, who comes up with these internal 90% traps directly in front of the blower when they could put it to the side, 90% pipes that go up in front of the coil screws grr, furnaces with flimsy screw on flanges instead of being part of the cabinet, I'm sure there's more.

Too bad there's not a brand that goes all in making things as easy to service as possible with lots of input from actual techs on how to make the unit easy to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    I like rheem's A/H and rectangle condensers. Their high static packs are dumb, huge condenser compartment but everything crammed together in the corner, and their cube units are also very frustrating.

Pretty much anything within the last 5 years has something dumb, angled copper lines, angled drain line's, who comes up with these internal 90% traps directly in front of the blower when they could put it to the side, 90% pipes that go up in front of the coil screws grr, furnaces with flimsy screw on flanges instead of being part of the cabinet, I'm sure there's more.

Too bad there's not a brand that goes all in making things as easy to service as possible with lots of input from actual techs on how to make the unit easy to work on.
    Rheem and Ruud say that the new 360 line was designed by installers and techs to make it easier and faster to work on. I had a dealer meeting the other night showing the new features and benefits of the new equipment that should be out by the winter

Quote Originally Posted by airmovers View Post
    Rheem and Ruud say that the new 360 line was designed by installers and techs to make it easier and faster to work on. I had a dealer meeting the other night showing the new features and benefits of the new equipment that should be out by the winter
    We just got a delivery of 10 furnaces due to them shutting down and re tooling. One thing I heard was more efficient and the 2 stage will do down flow also?

Automotive analogy: Our shop mechanic likes The Fords better than the Chevys. My cousin, a Chevy guy, says he must have to fix the Fords so much more than the chevys, that he is better at fixing Ford, therefore likes them more. I thought my cousin was crazy.

But... I spend so much of my life fixing stupid Carrier designs, I find myself quoting much more Carrier than our other brands. Maybe I am like an abused dog staying by his masters side. At least I know all the ways our installers can install a Carrier wrong, because I have seen them do it over and over again. Trane and Goodman, I have to learn new stupidity.
    Jason

were switching from bryant-payne to american standard-ameristar, the ameristars seem like pieces of sh*t, and the american standard are twice as heavy as bryant, we got a 4 ton package 2 days ago that weighed 652 pounds.

This is not an easy question. Most Furnace issues are caused by poor installations. I look at this from a different perspective. In my years of doing service work, albeit not as many as allot of others. I would say 90% of the furnaces i locked out due to a crack in a heat exchanger and/or hi CO were always Clamshell heat exchangers. ICP products like Confort Maker, Heil, Keeprite as well as lennox etc. Always the same thing pull the blower out and down fall the crimp rings that hold the clamshell together. SO there's my first requirement. One piece heat exchanger. Also i look at furnaces like Carrier, and it irritates the hell out of me that this company can produce virtually the same unit for 20 years and never fix this same issues that happen over and over again. Such as the disintegrating corrugated rubber condensate lines. "No lets not revise the furnace lets just push expensive repair kits on everyone." or the coating on the secondary heat exchanger that falls apart and creates major CO not to mention a smell of sulfur out the exhaust. These issues have been happening for years and Carrier has done nothing about them. York/Luxaire on the other hand i find is different.. What amazed me was that after the new 33" design came out whenever York had even the smallest issue with any one part a revised part came out VERY quickly. That to me means something a company who is willing to spend money on revisions and updates and not deny flaws like some competitors do. I also look at other designs and shake my head for instance. TRANE. What engineer decides to put a condensate trap right in the middle of the furnace and even worse right over top of the mainboard??? So any leak in the condensate trap turn into a +300 dollar repair. Stupid just plain stupid. So between the customer service, reliability, and design from what i have seen out there I'm a firm believer in York & Luxaire. Just my two cents Hope it helps.

Lennox
    Allied
    Aaon
    York
    Trane

1. Goodman 2. Goodman 3. Goodman 4. Goodman 5. Amana..........

I actually don't have much of an issue with Goodman equipment, it's usually the installer that made a mess of it. Now janijunk... that stuff was messed up.

1. Goodman installed by a pro
    2. Goodman installed by a guy in an unmarked truck that kind of knows what he's doing
    3. Goodman installed by a guy in an unmarked truck that doesn't know what he's doing
    4. Goodman installed by a handyman
    5. Goodman installed by homeowner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast