Your most embarassing callbacks... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I got a call from a homeowner wanting to know when the installer was going to show up- it was around 10am. Called installer and he said he was there and the furnace and coil were already pulled out- homeowner had not answered the door so he went ahead and started since the unit was in an outside closet......
    This guy is really a good installer but obviously has a need for glasses-he was at the wrong house. I went out and he had mangled the old equipment so we did our good deed of the year and installed a free furnace and coil

I went out with another guy to replace a compressor, turned out that the customer had a Carrier Triple Split heat pump. The guy who found it bad just put his gauges on the outside and said the valves were out of the compressor. The outside unit was just the outside coil and a fan motor that looked just like a condensing unit. That was a hard one to explain
    "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music"

I was sent out to replace a compressor on a residential rtu which another tech had condemned. I was given the call late in the day, and it was over an hour drive to the house. When I got there, no one was home, put up a ladder and started working. Threw the old comp off the roof into a rock garden. Started the unit and looked across the roof to see a second RTU sitting quietly by itself with it's disconnect off...yup, changed the wrong one.
    Leadership...the ability to move forward even when you've burned your foot.

We had a guy do something similar. Grabbed the wrong job folder... was supposed to be just doing a furnace changeout. He calls the owner and says "Hey did you order all the new ductwork for this job? It hasn't shown up here yet. I got everything ripped out and I'm just waiting for the new stuff." Owner says "What the hell do you need ductwork for it is just a changeout?" Installer "UH OH!" needless to say that homeowner got all new ductwork for free. The installer is a great installer so he didn't lose his job, just made a very costly mistake.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Computer room units,with 2 stages each but piped so one stage would go to a cond and other stage would go to another.so if a cond went out they would only loose 1 stage and another stage in another unit.I used to shut and start the condensers real fast to check belts.well one day i hear a funny noise it blew a section of discharge line under floor soft soulder. had to get new pipe from truck could not find blowen out section

i seem to keep forgetting to relight the pilot on the water heater
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Ok I was installing an A/C in a mobile home years ago and did not know that one of the H.O. kittens had snuck into the ductwork while I was installing the coil. Got a call later that day: Um, hi. Aaa, my registers are meowing. Had to coax the kitty out through a register. Oops.
    Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by lolson View Post
    i seem to keep forgetting to relight the pilot on the water heater
    same here...
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

Putting the cover on electrical panel on a Trane RTU, customer looking over my shoulder, I slip and hit line side of transformer and blow main on a rather large panel that fed many different critical things. Learned a valuable lesson that day.
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

Unhappy animals

Had a call for a bad smell and no heat ,crawled under the floor of a very low dirty house, checked unit and ducts. inside the ducts found 1 possum in the lead with a cat behind him. No survivers, they got caught up in the strip heaters in the a/h, this was the smell, tripped the breaker in the box for the a/h this was the no heat, the smell did not go away, wound up the next week replacing the unit with a PKG unit and all new ducts ( no smell and great heat), we returned the coller from the cat to the next door neigbor, the H.O insisted on the return of the coller.

hah this is not a most embarassing callback, but I did find 2 mice in a humidifier, and they were beyond rotten. I mentioned this to the H.O in case it might solve a mystery. Yep. A year and a half ago they had this rotten smell and the husband searched all through the ductwork and had found nothing.
    I believe in latent heat.

gotta tell this one even though it wasnt me..one of my close friends i work with was installing a hot water heater he picked up from the shop..however he forgot to get the relief valve,shop was only down the road..well he starts to fill up the water heater and runs down the road to get the valve..meanwhile there is water dumping out of the relief valve hole..it was the talk of the shop for a long time..haha..flooded the basement...the same guy jumped out R & W on an elec.heat package when i first started working with him..but he never energized the fan ciruit...we went to lunch..when we came back the building owner was standing at the front door saying the fire dept was out when we were at lunch cuz the place filled with a burning smell and smoke....they shut the disconnect off.. we found the whole elec.heat package melted..pretty embarassing. glad i was just the apprentice.

LMAO yeah really I bet you found that funny a lot sooner than he did
    I believe in latent heat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast