Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your most embarassing callbacks...

Don't be shy... I know everyone here has a story to tell. I'll save mine for a little later, after there's a few posts here...
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    Don't be shy... I know everyone here has a story to tell. I'll save mine for a little later, after there's a few posts here...
    so many to choose from...........left disconnect pulled, left t-stat off, let homeowners cat loose, took the word of another homeowner that the filter was clean, resulting a massive overcharge....I'll stop now!

Crazy Chihuahua

Customer had left me alone at the house to finish the job and I accidentally let his chihuahua out. That thing bolted like it was escaping prison. I chased it through the neighborhood for half an hour before I caught it. Never knew those things could run that fast.

This winter forgot to wire up control wires to condensor. Ring...Ring..Umm yea our a/c isnt working.

Ha. Oh man that has happened to me more than once. And i'm always trying to be so careful to watch for animals. Having to chase them is a *****. They run and run and run. And usually when they are done they end up right back at the house. Which really pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by deq1269 View Post
    Customer had left me alone at the house to finish the job and I accidentally let his chihuahua out. That thing bolted like it was escaping prison. I chased it through the neighborhood for half an hour before I caught it. Never knew those things could run that fast.

hmmm i left a ceiling tile open once, the contact from the account calls later in the evening (i was there in the morning mind you) and leaves a message on the answering machince we have in my building for me and the other 4 guys my company has stationed there. He was worried the unit wouldnt run without the tile closed and didnt wanna turn it on...

Working on a bldg that had aircraft navigation equipment in in (after hours active equipment, active rtunway); installing a remote condenser wire it up then fired it up and smoked the contactor! I had to go back across the taxi way to the shop back to the job etc. I got I running before anything overheated, but I was sweating bullets.

Then I was working on a walk-in (the area where they prep blood for shipping) in the blood bank that holds the military's blood reserves for the east coast a few days after 9-11 when we were shipping out blood like crazy. Found a bad contactor and sent it in to the shop for the part. A very senior tech (40+ yrs in HVAC) brought me a new contactor I installed it and the unit came on then the coil melted out of its housing. Got the right coil voltage and had it going pretty quick; it just surprized me since a tech I respected so much goofed it up, but it taught me everyone has a bad day.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

I left my gauges on a unit once when i first started in the field.it was my last stop of the day..got to my next job next day,said"Where the heck are my guages?"..got a call a minute later from a senior tech at the house telling me the customer called asking what the hell i did to their unit..he went out to look.found my gauges.very embarrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by d_griff View Post
    I left my gauges on a unit once when i first started in the field.it was my last stop of the day..got to my next job next day,said"Where the heck are my guages?"..got a call a minute later from a senior tech at the house telling me the customer called asking what the hell i did to their unit..he went out to look.found my gauges.very embarrasing.
    The old owner left his gauges on a unit once. I went back to the house 4 years later and found them.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    The old owner left his gauges on a unit once. I went back to the house 4 years later and found them.
    haha nothing like a free pair of gauges,i found a pair of gauges a little while later when i still did resi in a customers basement.i was laughin cuz im not the only one.

Got a call, ice maker not working, Went out to the place and found it's a bird farm, they had Pheasants, Peacocks, weird looking birds of all sizes. And also a little yapping, biting dog. The owner told me he would hold the dog back, while I went in the side door to the garage, Keeping my eye on the yapping dog, I back through the side door of the garage. When inside I made sure the door was closed, I turned around and looked an Ostrich right in the eyes, it tryed to peck my glasses off, but only got my hat, I was too fast for him, out the door I went, I know what the dog could do, but I don't know what that big bird had in mind. The owner (laughing) told me they was just playing. That's different, I thought I was lunch, not a toy.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left

2nd time I out to fix something for a commercial job (first time was another tech). When I had put the cover back on the zoning unit I had knocked the switch to emergency heat by accident and they had no backup heat for their gas furnace. oops
    I believe in latent heat.

ittermittent door switch failures on true r/i freezer! after new coplametic went in found only on start up what i had suspected all along and having been there 5 days running, quite an adventure this was embarrassing because this was my account in an industrial refrig plant for buttermilk salad dressing, and they only kept this freezer for clients as samples!! and customershad alot faith in me, but during the course of the callbacks every time i would arrive product would be frozen!! so first things to check timeclock door switches all checked out extensive testing, changed compressor after 5th day , as chance at bad valves even though i knew contrary, then on startup w digital thermom on each side did i catch the bastard switch on one side!!! drove me crazy , bypassed it customer never knew and life went on , quite an experience and humbling!! stan
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast