Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Fireplace odor

  1. #1

    Question Fireplace odor

    I have removed my wood burning insert from my fireplace and I now have a really bad smell in my fireplace. Any suggestion on how to get rid of this smell?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Madison, WI
    creosote smell? Maybe the chimney needs to be cleaned?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    St Louis, Missouri
    I had that in an old house I remodeled. In that case it was a very dirty chimney ...maybe yours too, I don't know?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    S.E. Pa

    Smile insepction and glaze removal

    You said you removed the insert stove but you didn't mention a stainless steel liner, which is required. If the stove was properly installed, the odors would have gone out with the liner. If this was a "slammer" insert without a liner, I'll bet it is full of 3rd degree glazed creosote, which is a severe fire hazard as well as carcinogenic. Call a sweep and tell him it probably needs a "glaze removal". Around Philly, this costs about $800-1,200 in addition to the base price of the sweeping & inspection. Tell the sweep you pulled the stove and you need a "Level II inspection.". That will determine if the fireplace is suitable to burn wood or just shut it down.

    you can find a trained, Certified Fireplace Inspector at:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event