AHU Drain Pan Insulation Kit

Has anyone here used one of these? On a goodman 3 ton AHU with VS installed in the attic in a humid coastal area. I lowered the fan speed from 1200 to 1020cfm for better dehumidification. The inside of the AHU is wet and the outside bottom of the AHU casing is wet. The drain is clear and draining.

Will this kit stop so much of this condensate from forming in and on the outside bottom of the AHU? I mean, it put about a gallon of condensate in the secondary pan in a couple of day's.

I hope they work, looks like I'm going to have about 20 of these kits soon

Are you sure pan isn't cracked? I have used one before and I recommend buying new pan and applying insulation to the new one just in case.

Also check if there is a baffle kit available and make sure there aren't turbulent air flow problems

If the insulation inside the unit is wet, the pan is leaking. If just the outside of the cabinet is wet, that is sweating. Note that Carrier says pleated filters increase coil blowoff, especially on down flow. Not sure why, but I have seen it myself. Only in humid climates.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Crap, that is two for a cracked pan. I looked and did not see a crack but I did not pull it out to inspect it. I just ordered another one any way. I'll do as suggested and insulate a new pan and install it next week when it comes in. Giving up my low MERV pleated filters will be hard. I hate the spun fiberglass ones. I changed my fiberglass filters often and my coil still got impacted with crud. Is the only other option the 4" filters?

Quote Originally Posted by riderman View Post
    Crap, that is two for a cracked pan. I looked and did not see a crack but I did not pull it out to inspect it. I just ordered another one any way. I'll do as suggested and insulate a new pan and install it next week when it comes in. Giving up my low MERV pleated filters will be hard. I hate the spun fiberglass ones. I changed my fiberglass filters often and my coil still got impacted with crud. Is the only other option the 4" filters?
    Here's a little tip go to a motorcycle shop and buy some maxima fiber air filter oil. You cant smell it and the crud will not get through. An alternative is k&n filter oil.

I have no problem with that. I assume it works a lot better than the fiberglass by itself?

Quote Originally Posted by riderman View Post
    I have no problem with that. I assume it works a lot better than the fiberglass by itself?
    Oh yea a little tack is good. Its in a aerosol can.

Ok, I ordered the drain pan and insulation kit from my supplier. I wont mention prices, but that one thin piece of insulation cost 3 times more than the drain pan. My understanding was the insulation "kit" was supposed to contain 20 pieces. I don't want to make a fool out myself and ask my supplier if this is correct.

I used the Goodman drain pan insulation kit on my own variable speed air handler. It is just foam tape, like I have used on linesets. It cost a bloody fortune for what it is. I still killed a blower motor under warranty. The motor bearings were tight, not a module problem. This was on a multi position in downflow.

We had a problem on a newer Trane variable speed AHU, similar to yours. I think it was more than the drain pan sweating.
    Jason

[QUOTE=bja105;16240901]I used the Goodman drain pan insulation kit on my own variable speed air handler. It is just foam tape, like I have used on linesets. It cost a bloody fortune for what it is.

YOU sir, are 100% correct!

Well, I hope Goodman chokes on the price of this POS. I hope I don't get banned for this but here goes: This thing cost about a third of what I paid to blow R30 insulation into my attic by myself. The Goodman AEPF install manual states this DEPIH48-61 "kit" has enough material for 20 coil installations. That makes sence for the price. I have no problem with that. I called Goodman corporation myself, they stated this kit does "One coil", IE it can be used\installed on "one" drain pan. The thing costs 3 times more than the flipping drain pan! I tried to explain to them that something was amiss, that their own manual stated one thing (20 items), that they were selling something else(1). They wont budge from the price! They got me, I don't want them to get YOU! A customer would have a cow if one tried to sell this item to them at cost. No wonder most distributors have no experience with these "kit's" and do not carry them. Well, all the ones I called anyway.

Where is robotech when you need him...LOL

Mod's, if this is TMI, please remove this post.

I got it under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    I got it under warranty.
    It's an option for the AHU, how did you get it under warranty? They don't really go bad..right?