Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    yes have had this. Only happens once and a while. Windings inside the motor are faulty. Like others had stated it will show up when you ohm it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan79 View Post
    yes have had this. Only happens once and a while. Windings inside the motor are faulty. Like others had stated it will show up when you ohm it out.
    ok, i will keep that in my mind. I have throw away the bad motor already. otherwise i will ohm it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrew4242 View Post
    ohm all 4 wires? what is the ohm going to help me with the problem?
    There's actually only three that matter, one of the browns/ the brown with white stripe is actually connected to one of the wires going to the contactor, usually white.

You ohm it because you can ohm it just like a compressor, it will give you more info than you had before, plus I'm just always curious, if something fails I want to know why.

ok, R, C , S
    i got it, thanks mason

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    There's actually only three that matter, one of the browns/ the brown with white stripe is actually connected to one of the wires going to the contactor, usually white.

You ohm it because you can ohm it just like a compressor, it will give you more info than you had before, plus I'm just always curious, if something fails I want to know why.
    I think you mean the white, black and solid brown wires..... correct me if i am wrong.

This same thing happened to a fellow tech of mine. He replace the motor for the second time and had a senior tech come out to see if he could find the problem... It was solved with buying a different blade that pitched the other way so it was never really solved lol. I can't believe that two oem motors spun the wrong way to this day has me stunped

Quote Originally Posted by jcrew4242 View Post
    I think you mean the white, black and solid brown wires..... correct me if i am wrong.
    Right, I'm saying one of the browns that is often marked with a white stripe is connected to one of the contactor wires, usually white, so we don't care about that one.

R-S-C, exactly

Same is true of the multi speed blower motors. The other day I installed one(230v) and when I started wiring it up I realized that I hadn't checked to see what the dedicated line wire was, I knew what speed to use, I ohmed the other wires until I found the one that was connected to the run cap lead, problem solved, it was yellow by the way, sometimes you get wierd colors.

On ECM motors, the actual motor body, it's three phase just like three phase compressors, you ohm the windings and all readings should be the same.

Thanks for the tips, mason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12