Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Better flowing register vents

Can anyone of the pros here provide a link to companies that sell better flowing register vents that you purchase from or provide the names of the register vents you use, so that I can google them? Mine are killing air flow for sure - standard builders grade. I want to change them.

Thanks...Al

Hart and Cooley dot com.

Avoid stamped steel registers (which is probably what you have now). Curved blade models for square or rectangular register openings are far better. Bar grills are also good...but each is best for a particular location or air throw pattern. Curved blades work well on ceilings..bar grills on sidewall outlets.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Thanks Shophound. Which one would work best for floor registers?

Better flowing register vents

In addition to having better flowing Supply Air (SA) diffusers, there may not be sufficient Available Static Pressure (ASP) at the diffusers to provide the volume & velocity required to meet the required airflow system design.

The static pressure differential between the Supply Air (SA) ducting and the Return Air (RA) ducting is what moves that air through the duct system & the diffusers into a room and back to the blower. Therefore it is essential to keep the negative return air static as low as possible, as this will improve the static pressure in the supply air duct system and result in more static pressure at the diffusers.

If the blower wheel blades are starved of Return Air, the blower cannot build the necessary level of static pressure in the supply plenum to move the air through the entire duct system & back to the blower wheel blades; therefore, the blower wheel blades unload. Simple blower performance dynamics...

A manual D should be performed when designing a system & also be performed on any system that has a shortage of airflow to any room.

When needed; to further optimize static pressure at the supply air diffusers, we need to oversize the return air filter areas so that we have no more than 300 FPM velocity of airflow through a new clean filter. Sizing the filter area at 325 in. per ton of cooling when using a fiberglass throwaway filter will usually result and 300 FPM velocity or less of airflow through a clean filter. This ought to be done whenever possible for more efficient airflow performance...

Many airflow systems are short on ASP; there can be a shortage of ASP on some duct runs, with enough on other duct runs..

Udarrel that is a bit over my head to be honest, but the HVAC company measured the ducting system and stated that it can handle up to a 4 ton unit (current unit is 3 ton), so I'm not sure how that would equate to having enough or not enough ASP. However, my simple test was to remove the register vents and feel the amount of air flowing when compared to them being covered by the register vents and there is a difference. With that simple test and reading comments on this site about using better flowing registers to help improve air flow when compared to the builder grade units, I've decided to replace them. I just want to squeeze as much airflow out of the system as possible. I can run the duct system test via the Infinity Controller and let you know the results if that would tell anything about ASP.

Also, I have the Aprilaire 5000 filter, which is a pretty large filter. Does that fit the bill for SP?

Thanks...Al

Quote Originally Posted by methodical View Post
    Thanks Shophound. Which one would work best for floor registers?
    Post a picture of what you have now.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

Here are few images of the register vents

Name:  IMAG0038.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  31.0 KBName:  IMAG0039.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  26.9 KBName:  IMAG0040.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  41.0 KB

I saw some high flow vents at the Home Depot. The grill or bars were spaced wide apart. They definitely had less bars/grills and looked less restrictive than the ones pictured above.

Al

I just want to squeeze as much airflow out of the system as possible.
    The idea is to get the right amount of air to the space that does the job.
    If you don't have airflow problems and just don't like the "look " of the standard registers than that is just a decorating concern and not a tedhnical one
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by genduct View Post
    The idea is to get the right amount of air to the space that does the job.
    If you don't have airflow problems and just don't like the "look " of the standard registers than that is just a decorating concern and not a tedhnical one
    Where then why the pros around here suggest the use of better flowing register vents or commercial style grills? Also, do the grills above in the photo look to be restrictive? Are they the contractor grade stamp steel models as noted by Shophound?

Thanks...Al

Quote Originally Posted by genduct View Post
    The idea is to get the right amount of air to the space that does the job...
    Wouldn't that also include the use of the proper registers? Aren't they part of the equation, too?

Quote Originally Posted by methodical View Post
    Wouldn't that also include the use of the proper registers? Aren't they part of the equation, too?
    Yes, proper registers do matter. You can size the ducts right, run them true and clean, and then choke things up with crappy registers.

Genduct is correct in that good HVAC design sizes the ducts to deliver the right amount of air to a room on the hottest "design" day for cooling, and the coldest for heating. This would tie into what I said above regarding the register selection being correct for the room's layout AND the intended air volume.

Post a pic of the Home Depot registers you are eyeballing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    Yes, proper registers do matter. You can size the ducts right, run them true and clean, and then choke things up with crappy registers.

Genduct is correct in that good HVAC design sizes the ducts to deliver the right amount of air to a room on the hottest "design" day for cooling, and the coldest for heating. This would tie into what I said above regarding the register selection being correct for the room's layout AND the intended air volume.

Post a pic of the Home Depot registers you are eyeballing.
    I will have to get a picture from the store. The website doesn't show them, so I will post a picture up later.

Btw, Shophound, what's your thoughts on the registers in the photo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast