Replacing central air unit

New to the forum just had a couple of questions. After having two hvac companies come out and consulting a friend of mine that does hvac work full time we need to replace our compressor. First our unit is only 10 yrs old and is using R22 freon. I have multiple quotes to 1) replace just the compressor with a dry unit, 2) to replace the just ac unit with a none R22 freon unit and, 3) to replace the ac unit as well as the furnace. My question is which of the three is the best option for longevity. I want to get the most years out of either of the options above.

Thanks,

Go with a new 410 system. If your in a place financially to upgrade to 90+% furnace I would consider it. At least go to the 410 13 seer minimum AC and indoor coil though.

First, I would find out why the unit failed so soon.

Not sure but could because of usage I have been working from home the last 3 yrs and though I am not a big fan of ac my wife is and she likes to run it all the time. The two techs and family friend that does hvac for a living kind of came to the same conclusion between usage and possible defect could of caused the bearings to be ceased I have a tech coming in Monday to talk about the options and will make sure to bring that point up.

Quote Originally Posted by acwanted View Post
    Not sure but could because of usage I have been working from home the last 3 yrs and though I am not a big fan of ac my wife is and she likes to run it all the time. The two techs and family friend that does hvac for a living kind of came to the same conclusion between usage and possible defect could of caused the bearings to be ceased I have a tech coming in Monday to talk about the options and will make sure to bring that point up.
    Is your home new construction? You won't find anyone that will check the ductwork (supply/return) for proper airflow.

Similar story: I went to a call to replace a 7 yr. old Lennox. I was the 3-4 guy to give an estimate. I started to measure the ductwork. The lady of the house gave me a mean look and said all she needed/wanted (and was told by the others) was a condenser. I explained that I was looking for a cause for the early failure.

I got her involved in helping me check the return (which is normally the problem). I/we discovered that a pass way had been installed between the fm. room and din. room before her family moved into the home. Four returns (2 up and 2 down) had been eliminated because of the pass through. I got the job. A new condenser, plus the ductwork/return air modifications (that no one else cared about).

break down in cost $ condenser only $ ac/condenser $ for ac/condenser/furnace funny you mention the duct work thing I have been thinking about since we moved it. How do I aggressively have someone check the ducts for airflow as well as figuring if they know what they are doing? Thanks for the help. The house was new when we purchased in 2003. Its now 2013 so 10 yrs ago.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-15-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Prices

Quote Originally Posted by acwanted View Post
    break down in cost $ condenser only $ ac/condenser $ for ac/condenser/furnace funny you mention the duct work thing I have been thinking about since we moved it. How do I aggressively have someone check the ducts for airflow as well as figuring if they know what they are doing? Thanks for the help. The house was new when we purchased in 2003. Its now 2013 so 10 yrs ago.
    Thanks for doing the math for me....lol. Most contractors do not want to take the time or do not have the knowledge to determine if the ductwork (airflow) is the issue. The $$$ is in the equipment. Plus they can charge you addition $$$ (without competition) when they return to do the the job (right) that should have been caught in the beginning.

The salesman will claim he could not determine the problem because he doesn't have "expertise" like the installers. This is so bogus. It was one of my main frustrations with the business. Good luck to you. Please keep us posted.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-15-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Prices in quote