American Standard Heritage 16 vs. Platinum XM

I'm a mechanical designer. I'm specifying American Standard two-stage 3-ton heat pumps on two projects this week. I'm much more familiar with Trane's lineup.

One of the mechanical contractors being considered said the Heritage 16 was discontinued and asked for my approval to use the Platinum XM. As I understand it, the Heritage 16 (4A6H6) is equivalent to the Trane XR16 (4TWR6), and the Platinum XM (4A6H7) is equivalent to the XR17 (4TWR7). So what's the difference?

I did some digging and all four models have 2-stage scrolls, all have the open top, and all are non-communicating. What's weird is that all have identical AHRI ratings when combined with TAM8, at least for the 3 ton model -- 18 SEER/13 EER/9.0 HSPF. Here are AHRI refs if anyone cares to check...

4773501 - Heritage 16
    5774446 - Platinum XM
    5456952 - XR16
    5776132 - XR17

At the risk of further confusing matters, I found a submittal for an earlier version of the Heritage 16 on the net, and it had AccuLink and open top. To my knowledge, AmStd models are identical to Trane, and Trane's communicating model (XL16i) has the closed top, right? I also saw in another thread here that the XR16 was single stage at some point. I really wish Trane/AS wouldn't do this sort of stuff!

Both companies' websites show both models (16/17) as being current (although past experience suggests that doesn't mean much). I grabbed the latest submittals for the XR16 & XR17 from comfortsite and every detail is identical except sound ratings, including net weight. I bet the prices aren't the same!

So what's the scoop? Has the Heritage16/XR16 been discontinued and replaced with the XM/XR17 like the dealer said?

Its essentially a 2-stage XL16i without the WeatherGuard. If the price is the same I would jump on it.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTree View Post
    Its essentially a 2-stage XL16i without the WeatherGuard. If the price is the same I would jump on it.
    Are you referring to the Platinum XM? According to AmStd website, the only heat pump in its line that has AccuLink is the ZM (XL20i). Best I can tell, the XM is identical to the XR17 (4TWR7)
    Last edited by ginahoy; 07-11-2013 at 06:55 AM.

They have been playing games with model #s bumping them up to reflect that a few matches of the old 16 SEER gets 17 SEER. And A-S has gotten away from the old names Allegiance, Heritage, Freedom and going to Silver & Platinum making things extra confusing. If you look at the parts lists between the 2 brands, things are identical til you get to the cabinet. Same comp, coil, fan motor, blade etc. Only thing A-S doesn't get is the XLi top.

EER is only 13. You can get that with a much cheaper single stage system if you buy the VS air handler/furnace. SEER is calculated with a 2 degree difference between indoor and outdoor temps, EER is 15 degree difference. Which do you think is more common in a typical summer?

http://www.trane.com/residential/products/heat-pumps

http://www.americanstandardair.com/p...cat=heat+pumps

Yes, Its an XL16i without the WeatherGuard. Idiotically, the only communicating units are the 20 SEER overpriced ones, according to the website. I tried to carry Trane for those customers who get convinced that its better but had to stop due to the ridiculous pricing and lame efficiency.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    EER is only 13. You can get that with a much cheaper single stage system if you buy the VS air handler/furnace. SEER is calculated with a 2 degree difference between indoor and outdoor temps, EER is 15 degree difference. Which do you think is more common in a typical summer?
    you're preachin' to the choir. There are other reasons, occasionally, for going with 2-stage.

I spoke to both Trane and an AmStd distributor this morning and the XR16/Heritage 16, neither of which have communicating capability, have been relabeled as XR17/Platinum XM.

The XL18i is a rebranded XL16i. There's no equivalent to that model in the AmStd line. And the XL20i is the same as the Platinum ZM. Performance-wise, the XL18i is pretty much the same as the XR18, the only difference I can tell is the top and the communications capability, which for the outdoor unit, isn't very useful.

I do like the TAM8 communicating air handler in zoning applications. It just requires a relay box to use with the non-communicating outdoor unit.