+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brazing copper tube to Brass fitting

Post Likes

Brazing copper tube to Brass fitting

Good evening HVAC Guru's,

What is the best method to braze 7/8 and 3/8 HVAC copper line set to brass service valve. Any help will be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    White paste flux, and 45% silver.

Post Likes
    Welcome here by the way, you will get more answers if you post in the tech to tech chat section.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Welcome here by the way, you will get more answers if you post in the tech to tech chat section.
    Better yet, I can just move it there...

Moved this to tech to tech chat

Post Likes
    White paste flux, and 45% silver.

Post Likes
    Flux coated 45% silver rods work well.

Post Likes
    What everyone said above +

The best method is the one that when done not only meets the manufacturer's specifications, it also doesn't damage the service valves.

Don't forget the nitrogen.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Stay-Silv 15 and white flux.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Post Likes
    It's not brass.

but, for the goodman condenser your installing, dynaflow.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Thanks for the tips. Seems like White paste flux, and 45% silver is the "method of choice"

Yes I'll be using nitrogen.

Post Likes
    5-15% silphos is all you need for connecting the copper line set to the service valve stubs on a condenser if that's what you're doing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    5-15% silphos is all you need for connecting the copper line set to the service valve stubs on a condenser if that's what you're doing.
    True

Post Likes
    True
    x3

45% and flux is over kill( that is used for true solid brass/stainless) and 15 stay-silv/silfoss etc etc is all you need NO FLUX but pull valve caps, shroeder cores, a good wet rag over valves plus a good oxy/acet rig with good hot heat go fast and true then pour water over repair area immediately after your done.. check for leaks with Nitro, 250 for 22 and 400 plus for 410, and your golden..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    x3

45% and flux is over kill( that is used for true solid brass/stainless) and 15 stay-silv/silfoss etc etc is all you need NO FLUX but pull valve caps, shroeder cores, a good wet rag over valves plus a good oxy/acet rig with good hot heat go fast and true then pour water over repair area immediately after your done.. check for leaks with Nitro, 250 for 22 and 400 plus for 410, and your golden..
    On copper to copper, no flux is needed with 15% silver solder.

On copper to brass, per manufacturers instructions, 15% silver solder is ok, but flux must be used.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    It's not brass.

but, for the goodman condenser your installing, dynaflow.
    You got that right. Dynaflow works just as well (almost identical temperature range) as 15% silphos and at half the price. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    On copper to copper, no flux is needed with 15% silver solder.

On copper to brass, per manufacturers instructions, 15% silver solder is ok, but flux must be used.
    but a service valve on most resi and light comm units arent solid brass and ive never in 15 years used flux on these connections..i assume thats what he meant..I realize that solid brass and SS would require some 45 or higher stick and ive used the ones with flux built into the rod..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    x3

This is “NEW INFO” From the research I’ve done indicated not to use rods with “PHOSPHORUS” when brazing copper to brass ????.

I’ve already brazed the other sections of copper with Harris stay-silv 15%.

We are installing a Goodman GSX and the service valve stubs looks like BRASS (was not too certain) glad I asked. And the instructions state a minimum of 2% silver and NOT TO USE FLUX.

But if The seasoned vets say its oK to use 15% ( I have that rods) then I’m set.

Thanks again for all the valuable tips

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in