+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Took at test last night and missed this question. What is the differance between

Post Likes
    Correct was 1100-1300

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    How much torque does it take to set a 1/4" sheet metal screw?
    About that much...

When the small impact starts to click, let go of the trigger...

That is, except if it is a goodman cabinet... If it is a goodman... you have already stripped it...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    what impact are you uzin?

the new overseas screws take more than a click to get set , from my suppliers (!)
    Process cooling: NO COMPRESSORS- just simply Earth-Coupled since 1996
    ... still needs to be hybridized with Earth-loop GTX for energy transfer/ chillin' /or thawin'

Perhaps you need a 22f Chiller/HW-Heat-Reclaim: buy a GEO-T Heat Pump (GTHP with Heat-Recovery)
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...mal_heat_pumps

http://www.hydro-temp.com/products.html and Bosch/Carrier/WF DHW while Cooling/Chilling

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    How much torque does it take to set a 1/4" sheet metal screw?
    Would depend upon on the gauge of metal.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    Funny thing.... Who cares? Is that info ever going to help you in the field?
    I'm sure someone can come up with some ridiculous situation in which it would, but the fact is, it doesn't mean anything...
    If you were a commercial plumber pipe fitter, welding oxygen lines and such, maybe it might be useful knowledge, but in routine HVAC, not so much. If instructors would focus on real world skills, there would be much better technicians in the field today...
    Just my 2¢...
    It is a funny thing if you look at the OP's response. He as well as many others do, that "melting and flow" are the same. I did not write the question, but I believe the point of it is to show the technician that even though the product is melting at the joint that it is still not flowing. How many brazing joints have you seen that look like chicken poop globules all over the outside of the fitting only to take it apart and nothing inside?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    It is a funny thing if you look at the OP's response. He as well as many others do, that "melting and flow" are the same. I did not write the question, but I believe the point of it is to show the technician that even though the product is melting at the joint that it is still not flowing. How many brazing joints have you seen that look like chicken poop globules all over the outside of the fitting only to take it apart and nothing inside?
    Hey that's what I said

Post Likes
    Ive worked around steel products for a good many years where localizing a weld was of importance to insure proper tensile strength. The same could be said for brazing. If a leak meant big money or death, flow temps would be important although the number means nothing to anyone without heat chalk.

Post Likes
    weeeeeell

the same silver shop teacher in earlier tangents
    did show ud how to pick off 1200 to 1400 by the color of the dull to more orange metals and 1700 for inlay-ed glass melting...

then in class of 16-18 year old kids

too, 5 of 9 failed out of the total17 bought and sold brand, had only simple braized joint failures-
    for my company alone; and 3 distributors went through the same from 1993-2010 with that brand-

maybe if they had the chalk, or could see the bright orange required-

oh well:
    only as good as your last tech/QC person to make the OEM's name , anyways
    Process cooling: NO COMPRESSORS- just simply Earth-Coupled since 1996
    ... still needs to be hybridized with Earth-loop GTX for energy transfer/ chillin' /or thawin'

Perhaps you need a 22f Chiller/HW-Heat-Reclaim: buy a GEO-T Heat Pump (GTHP with Heat-Recovery)
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...mal_heat_pumps

http://www.hydro-temp.com/products.html and Bosch/Carrier/WF DHW while Cooling/Chilling

Post Likes
    there is too many job in this country dont even need to be exist,most of time is easy goverment job!they set up all kind of test and exam,so they can ask u stupid question like that dont even concern how u work in the field,and collect the fee!

Post Likes
    I think the idea is that we retain about 70% of what we learn. We are taught 30% more than we need. Hope fully we will retain what we need and not the melting point/flow point of brazing rod.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    If the question did not specify 15%, I would say "it depends on the alloy." There are a LOT of silver brazing alloys available, all with different flow temperatures.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    Too many Texas License hollders have never even held a torch, but they could answer the question (open book).

These new license holders are allowed to work is a HOs house, yet have never experienced oil dripping, suction line and trying to braze everything back togetrher.

State is granting license to book smart applicants, yet ignoring all practical application.

My beef is the Contractors Exams asking rediculious questions about board member terms yet Manual J is no longer tested.

Post Likes
    D: all of the above.

Post Likes
    Saw a "tempilstick" online it you wanted to hold something else in your hand while brazing. I guess the tip of this thing melts at 1400 degrees.

Post Likes
    Not melt but flow. That's the trick question. There is flow and there is melt. Now I see my nate is useless.

Post Likes
    A person who is a good test-taker... may or may not be a good tech.
    And a lousy test-taker might be a GREAT tech, or a poor one.

Mechanical understanding is something one learns from years of working with their hands, along with a natural knack for mechanical things... Same with electrical things. IMO there is really no way to test this... one just has to have the knack and experience.

Licensing, in reality, is not about ability... it is about limiting competition and govt collecting fees (mostly govt fees). Nothing more. There are as many hacks with licenses as without.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    I guess but its a tool when being hired when it comes down to two or three people the person with nate or rses is most likely going to get the job. Is it really going to hurt to have the nate or rses cert?. The ad company's promote nate so it's in everyone head that all techs need them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bwd111 View Post
    I guess but its a tool when being hired when it comes down to two or three people the person with nate or rses is most likely going to get the job. Is it really going to hurt to have the nate or rses cert?. The ad company's promote nate so it's in everyone head that all techs need them.
    I tend to agree with this... While NATE does require more than a hack understanding... it is mostly for show to folks that really do not know the difference (most HO's).

I know a few guys that got NATE for only that reason... to impress their customers.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    That is very true. It's all about how to rub it in other people faces. Just cause people have a drivers Lin doesn't mean they can drive

Post Likes

Hasn't Been a Truer Post Ever!

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    A person who is a good test-taker... may or may not be a good tech.
    And a lousy test-taker might be a GREAT tech, or a poor one.

Mechanical understanding is something one learns from years of working with their hands, along with a natural knack for mechanical things... Same with electrical things. IMO there is really no way to test this... one just has to have the knack and experience.

Licensing, in reality, is not about ability... it is about limiting competition and govt collecting fees (mostly govt fees). Nothing more. There are as many hacks with licenses as without.
    I happen to have mechanical aptitude and am a good test taker.

Everything else is up for debate. Licensing is restraint of trade plain and simple.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in