Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trane heat pump

trane heat pump

looked at a trane heat pump yesterday. model geha, water source,serial # wooa01162. compressor wouldn't start, tripping on overload. replaced compressor today. unit started fine, but suction went down to 0 psi in a few seconds. high side went to 230-240. tryed 4 or 5 times, always went 0 right away.

thinking txv must have failed. unit is hanging in attic with horrible access, not sure what else could cause it to suck down so quickly other than txv? i caould only run a few seconds at a time becuase it was pumping down so quickly.

i have this alike experience. In my case, i have a clogged up TXV. It was like dirt trap inside the TXV.

ok- when you replaced, what did you solder distributor to txv with?

15%

ok-trane said just to use soft solder on that joint. it looked different is why i ask.

anybody ever used regular soft solder? the distributor to valve connection is very tight /close, trane is saying to use regular lead free soft solder- just doesn't sound right.

Soft solder is for plumbing. Is the distributor brass?

I use 45% on unlike metals such as copper to brass, copper to stainless, etc. I use 15% on copper to copper.

It's a heat pump - shift into heating and see if your pressures come around. A clogged up or failed txv will still usually bypass/check in reverse.

it's in a hotel ceiling and guest is back, so i had to leave for now. i also use 15% ,and thought soft solder didn't sound right, their tech support said to use it so valve dosen't get to hot? i've always used wet rags around valve.

cjp- i did not try in heat mode. if power head failed it will pull right down to 0 in heat also right? if i do have normal pressure in heat, then i probably had crap in valve that got blown out in heat? it pumps down so quick-like 3 seconds, i cant think of anything else but txv. it will be a royal PITA to change this valve

I have some water source heat pumps I take care of. When I have to replace txv or rev valve, I use a genie duct lift to lower the unit from the ceiling. Repair unit on lift then push it back up in ceiling. It's not too bad of a job like that.

I found I can get just power head through rsd, trane said whole valve only. I'm thinking power head is dead and would fix it. Any similar experiences and should I try this or just suck it up and change the whole valve.

It's a bi-directional Txv which meters both ways. I agree that most likely the power head is bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast