Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 36
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    Posts
    277
    I have to agree with previous comments, chillers and controls seem to pay the best. Industrial refrigeration can pay very well too.

    Longterm I think chillers will have better job security, controls will be flooded with people in 10 years. (Seems like everyone I talk to wants the cushy controls jobs...)
    You cannot cheat an honest man. But that doesn't stop people trying!

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post
    chillers or controls.
    x2

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    8
    Porn can pay well for some.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning_Boy View Post
    I have to agree with previous comments, chillers and controls seem to pay the best. Industrial refrigeration can pay very well too.

    Longterm I think chillers will have better job security, controls will be flooded with people in 10 years. (Seems like everyone I talk to wants the cushy controls jobs...)

    Everyone I run into also wants to be a controls tech it seems. My take on it is they DO think it is a cush job and they really have no idea. They won't last. A true controls tech/HVAC system tech, a guy who can develop logic with the experience and knowledge of how a system will act and react will always be in demand. Some of the best control techs I have ever worked with, have had some other type of HVAC work experience like service or military.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    Someones gotta keep those big fake boobs from sweating

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by marter View Post
    Someones gotta keep those big fake boobs from sweating
    Lol... And I need to put in an application.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning_Boy View Post
    I have to agree with previous comments, chillers and controls seem to pay the best. Industrial refrigeration can pay very well too.

    Longterm I think chillers will have better job security, controls will be flooded with people in 10 years. (Seems like everyone I talk to wants the cushy controls jobs...)
    When I got out of high school they said the same about the IT field in general and me going to college for that degree would be a waste of time because I wouldn't be able to find a job. Now 15 years later it's still the fastest growing and largest market in every industry, every corner of the globe! Needless to say I'm in school now for that degree. Automation industry filling up and being flooded? I think not. To me that's like saying you could have too much money. Jump on the ban wagon now and you won't feel left in the dust in the next 10 years when everything in the hvac industry is automated...
    The only decision in life is to decide what to do with the time given to you

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_T View Post
    Everyone I run into also wants to be a controls tech it seems. My take on it is they DO think it is a cush job and they really have no idea. They won't last. A true controls tech/HVAC system tech, a guy who can develop logic with the experience and knowledge of how a system will act and react will always be in demand. Some of the best control techs I have ever worked with, have had some other type of HVAC work experience like service or military.
    Couldn't help but to agree with you. The best control tech engineers were mechanics first, tops off, hands down a given. However there were many computer type guys that seemed to grasp the hvac fundamentals pretty good when designing automated systems I've run across from time to time.
    The only decision in life is to decide what to do with the time given to you

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by HighTekk^ View Post
    Couldn't help but to agree with you. The best control tech engineers were mechanics first, tops off, hands down a given. However there were many computer type guys that seemed to grasp the hvac fundamentals pretty good when designing automated systems I've run across from time to time.
    Completely agree I was an HVAC mechanic before controls. Controls isnt that cushy of a job there's a lot to know and learn everything from networking to computer to correct sequence of hvac operation

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,728
    Computer Room A/C!

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,506
    Lead sales technician with a residential company in a high cost of living area.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,439
    The future will be in retro-commisioning and retro engineering. Much of that will land in the lap of the controls guys, but as others have eluded, just knowing the computer side wont be enough. The guys that get a firm grasp of how a building functions and can rebuild a control scheeme around that are priceless and will only get more valuable. Chiller mechanics make good money, but the trouble is that more and more buildings are being built and retrofitted away from large tonnage equipment. There will allways be a market for that, but the share is not going up, but down. Especially the centrifigal market. More and more buildings are using screw, recip, and scroll machines instead. I dont mean to burst bubbles, but centrifigals are going to be like pneumatics in 15 years. They will be around, but not planned into new buildings save a few.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,350
    If we are talking about strictly the most money on a yearly basis w/o being and owner or president. and not working uber OT
    1. Commercial sales
    2. Chiller mechanic 500-1000+ tons (union)
    3. Chillers 500 tons and down/ large tonnage unitary systems (union)
    4. Supermarket refrigeration (union)
    5. Controls technician/ programmer for large company/ Siemens, JCI, ALC etc.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event