Confused Field Salesman pay scale Denver

I hired a salesman with zero experience in sales about 4 months ago. He worked for 20 years in the property maintenance industry. He has been doing a decent job meeting my expectations. I chose to pay him a hourly rate of $19.00 per hour. I felt this was pretty fair for a zero experience salesman that is gaining experience at my expense. He has recently approached me for a raise. I told him we would sit down and talk and we did. The problem is that we are so far apart with an agreeable wage. He is asking for $24.00 per hour and on June 1st I raise him even more to $30.00 per hour. If someone out there could be give a typical pay scale for a salesman that would be appreciated. I have a 10 man shop and we stay busy year round here in the Denver Metro area. Any and all input would sure be appreciated!

Thanks so much,
    confused in Denver

If he thinks hes worth that much ask him to put his money where his mouth is and go hourly base plus commision.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Someone just starting out in sales.
    Should be on a wage that is livable.
    After they gain some experience.
    That should be put on a low wage plus commission, or draw on commission.
    This keeps them from becoming an office fixture, and costing you money during the slower seasons.
    Forces them to look for ways to bring in mew leads, and keep sales up.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Commissions are the sales persons way of giving themselves their own raise. They want to make more then they will get out there and hustle. I never knew a million dollar a year sales person who works on a wage.

If your hourly rate or paycheck is the same whether you poor your heart into a job or not what keeps you trying harder? Eventually people get bored or tired of it especially a sales type position.

Do yourself and your sales person a favor and put him on commission, drop his hourly rate, and show him how much he could make when he is earning 3-5% of his jobs that he sells and let him know now that he has experience this is the format he needs to follow.

I have worked for 2 different sales departments and this has been pretty standard. 300-600 per week with 3% commission till the quota or goal for the month is met. Once the quote is met the the percentage for the entire month or anything after that point for that month goes up to 4%. If he breaks a record then bump him up another bit to 5%.

what do u need a salesman for? if u are the owner u do the sales and pay yourself then u will not have a problem with sales employees asking for more money and taking away from veteran employee`s who are doing the hands on work.
    GOOD WORK IS NOT CHEAP! AND CHEAP WORK IS NOT GOOD!

IF YOU THINK A GOOD HVAC COMPANY IS EXPENSIVE. THEN YOU SHOULD TRY A BAD ONE.

My father has been a salesman his entire life and does extremely well for himself. He has been very very successful and he works 100 percent commission and would never go back to a wage at all.

I'd say he's done a good job of selling you on his wages.

I agree with BeenThere, pay him lower salary with commission .The commission is a great motivator.

Details of how much would be specific to your situation,and they run the scale in the field.
    If your techs provide a lot of leads,that's usually fairly easy sales.
    If he has to do a lot of door knocking instead of selling, thats the other end of the spectrum.
    GO DAWGS!

I think they are all types of salesmen out there, the ones that are good and consistently bring in the work and keep Customers happy deserved to be paid well.
    I am a Chiller Mechanic that aspired to be an account manager. I absolutely hate performing this job now.
    With that being said, I am hourly plus comission and retained my Union Card. The package is what you can get-
    I personally sell over $ 3 million a year.

I think he very lucky, down here in fla when I did sales I got 10 dollars a call
    and 12 percent. And a lot of small paychecks when it was slow.
    oh yeah and fighting the other guys for good leads.
    when u let him ill be right out. Lol

I have 20+ years in hvac, started as a filter flipper, sheet metal, install, service and have been straight sales for a union company for last 10 years, I earn.... 30 hourly, no commision and do about 1.5 mill a year in retro residential, decent health and 401, happy at that, know I could make more on commish but like the steady income week to week, love my job and my customers,
    Total Energy Management, inc

Quote Originally Posted by flablue View Post
    I think he very lucky, down here in fla when I did sales I got 10 dollars a call
    and 12 percent. And a lot of small paychecks when it was slow.
    oh yeah and fighting the other guys for good leads.
    when u let him ill be right out. Lol
    What do you mean "10 dollars a call"?