Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    Rheem/Ruud are the kings of capacitor replacement problems. Some of their units have the cap fit through a hole in the sheet metal. If the new one doesn't fit you've got to Rheem<g> out the hole until it does. Not so bad on condensers but in a hot attic its not fun when you've got to get a drill or tin snips to fit a cap in the hole. You can put it somewhere else but its still a job that shouldn't need to be done.
    Here's an example of what Rheem does with the caps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Here's an example of what Rheem does with the caps.
    That must be one of their cube units. I've only put a few in and the first thing I thought was I hope the cap fits when it's time to replace one. They did the same type thing with some of their blower motor capacitors.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

That must be one of their cube units. I've only put a few in and the first thing I thought was I hope the cap fits when it's time to replace one. They did the same type thing with some of their blower motor capacitors.
    Yes, cube unit. I was thinking that they did this so the cap would get airflow and run cooler?

And if the hole is too big, you just lay it in there and hope for the best..

Name:  leakincoil005_zps30203e17.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  55.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by walterc View Post
    And if the hole is too big, you just lay it in there and hope for the best..

Name:  leakincoil005_zps30203e17.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  55.1 KB
    Been there, done that!

Rheem/Ruud are the kings of capacitor replacement problems. Some of their units have the cap fit through a hole in the sheet metal. If the new one doesn't fit you've got to Rheem<g> out the hole until it does. Not so bad on condensers but in a hot attic its not fun when you've got to get a drill or tin snips to fit a cap in the hole. You can put it somewhere else but its still a job that shouldn't need to be done.
    True. But R/R's are also the least likely to have a blown cap, in my experience. Only one in two years so far...

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    True. But R/R's are also the least likely to have a blown cap, in my experience. Only one in two years so far...
    Apparently the strategy of putting the cap in the air-stream for cooling really does work...

So you ask, why 370VAC?? Well, you have to think about peak voltage on an VAC sine wave. Divide the RMS voltage you see on your multimeter by 0.707 and this will give you the peak voltage the cap sees. The cap manufacturer publishes the break down voltage of the cap.

So, why do they not use a higher voltage rating? Again, this was a cost issue for them. Buying millions of caps at a time saving a cent or two buys a lot of corporate beer! Now, does it make sense for us to carry all the voltage ranges? Nah! OUR cost difference is negligible if any and you can always use a higher voltage cap in place of a lower one, just keep in mind that it will be physically larger, hence some modification.

If you want to see something interesting, check the voltage across a run cap at high speed. Magic...

Apparently the strategy of putting the cap in the air-stream for cooling really does work...
    It might work but I doubt that is the underlying reason for its placement. I'll bet it's mainly to save space and being in the air stream is an after thought. On their more expensive units (the rectangular ones) the cap is not in the air stream so it doesn't make engineering sense if that was their real concern.
    Gary
    -----------

It might work but I doubt that is the underlying reason for its placement. I'll bet it's mainly to save space and being in the air stream is an after thought. On their more expensive units (the rectangular ones) the cap is not in the air stream so it doesn't make engineering sense if that was their real concern.
    Makes sense. If cooling the cap was a priority they would find a way to have it cooled by ambient air instead of condenser heated air. Not sure if condenser heated air is any cooler than the inside of the electrical box anyways...

But how much does a warranty call cost them vs. paying a nickel more per capacitor? Guess it's a numbers game with manufacturers..
    Not nearly as much as they save.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It has to be cheaper for manufacture of caps to sale just 440 size. The manufacture cost to make a 440 got to be lost with seperate production line, separate package, sparate inventory and everything. Thats the reason why I don't bother stocking 370s.

Quote Originally Posted by timjimbob View Post
    It has to be cheaper for manufacture of caps to sale just 440 size. The manufacture cost to make a 440 got to be lost with seperate production line, separate package, sparate inventory and everything. Thats the reason why I don't bother stocking 370s.
    It's not just the cost of production that counts, its the sellability of the item. If there's a demand for 370v caps and a demand for 440v caps then it might pay for the manufacturers to make different ones. For all we know they could be all made the same and just stamped different on the rating plate.
    Gary
    -----------

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast