Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northeast Wi
    Posts
    172

    370 or 440. Why not a 370/440?

    I picked up a dual capacitor and it was a 370/440 35/5. Why cant all caps be this way? It sure would cut down on stocking both votages

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,518
    Quote Originally Posted by 11crv View Post
    I picked up a dual capacitor and it was a 370/440 35/5. Why cant all caps be this way? It sure would cut down on stocking both votages
    It's a 440 volt cap. The reason that they started putting 370/440 on them is because a lot of techs don't know that you can put a 440 back in place of a 370.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northeast Wi
    Posts
    172
    Then why even sell or make a 370 cap? Just seems odd to me

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,518
    Quote Originally Posted by 11crv View Post
    Then why even sell or make a 370 cap? Just seems odd to me
    The 370 volt caps are cheaper to make so they cost less. Manufacturers use them in their equipment because they don't give a sh|t as long as it'll hold up until the warranty period expires.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,293
    They make them so unknowing techs will buy one of each. Same reason they don't make a 120/240 volt blower motor. Same windings/ same frame. They could, you know

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Moore, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by timjimbob View Post
    They make them so unknowing techs will buy one of each. Same reason they don't make a 120/240 volt blower motor. Same windings/ same frame. They could, you know
    A blower motor would require a wiring change to swith from 120 to 240. Ive never seen it on any multispeed motor. Commercial single speed motors its more common.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,293
    same windings, just need to tap coil to allow series or parallel. Kinda like speed reversal connections.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Moore, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by timjimbob View Post
    same windings, just need to tap coil to allow series or parallel. Kinda like speed reversal connections.
    I've seen these, but never on a multispeed motor. How would you series/parallel all the speed tap windings?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,197
    The ones that I've been buying only say 370/440 on the box. On the actual capacitor it only says 440. There used to be a considerable price difference between 370v and 440v caps but now the difference is almost negligible. For manufacturers though, even a small difference can add up when you're making 100,000 pieces of equipment or so.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Moore, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    The ones that I've been buying only say 370/440 on the box. On the actual capacitor it only says 440. There used to be a considerable price difference between 370v and 440v caps but now the difference is almost negligible. For manufacturers though, even a small difference can add up when you're making 100,000 pieces of equipment or so.
    But how much does a warranty call cost them vs. paying a nickel more per capacitor? Guess it's a numbers game with manufacturers..

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,352
    But let's not forget space restraints - have to be creative getting some 440s safely into those flat little brown Yorkies. 370, 440, round, oval...waste of space stocking all of them and costly to come back. I just grab 440s in the larger MF ratings, but get burned now and again trying to fit it into a tiny electrical cubby hole. I specifically recall having to move the contactor and drill another hole in a blazing hot sun with the panel up against the wall. I could hear the run cap bandit scoffing in my ear...surprised the boss never asked "it took you 45 minutes for a cap call"???

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    1,241
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    But let's not forget space restraints - have to be creative getting some 440s safely into those flat little brown Yorkies. 370, 440, round, oval...waste of space stocking all of them and costly to come back. I just grab 440s in the larger MF ratings, but get burned now and again trying to fit it into a tiny electrical cubby hole. I specifically recall having to move the contactor and drill another hole in a blazing hot sun with the panel up against the wall. I could hear the run cap bandit scoffing in my ear...surprised the boss never asked "it took you 45 minutes for a cap call"???
    The Run Cap Bandit has no trouble with this
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

    -Alfred E Newman

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,197
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    But let's not forget space restraints - have to be creative getting some 440s safely into those flat little brown Yorkies. 370, 440, round, oval...waste of space stocking all of them and costly to come back. I just grab 440s in the larger MF ratings, but get burned now and again trying to fit it into a tiny electrical cubby hole. I specifically recall having to move the contactor and drill another hole in a blazing hot sun with the panel up against the wall. I could hear the run cap bandit scoffing in my ear...surprised the boss never asked "it took you 45 minutes for a cap call"???
    Rheem/Ruud are the kings of capacitor replacement problems. Some of their units have the cap fit through a hole in the sheet metal. If the new one doesn't fit you've got to Rheem<g> out the hole until it does. Not so bad on condensers but in a hot attic its not fun when you've got to get a drill or tin snips to fit a cap in the hole. You can put it somewhere else but its still a job that shouldn't need to be done.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event