Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The simple answer for tight wad HO's is "We deliver the part, install it, and more important we warranty it. See if Ebay's sellers will do anymore than deliver the part.
    I wouldn't be interested in installing parts provided by a HO. If they bought the wrong part or misdiagnosed the problem they might not be happy paying for the service.
    The service industry can partly blame themselves. I don't remember this being a problem before flat rate and other excessive profit motivated services became common.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

How is that any different from buying auto parts from the dealer? You can either have them change the part for you, or you can buy the part and do it yourself. If you install the part wrong or it's not the problem, that's your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
    How is that any different from buying auto parts from the dealer? You can either have them change the part for you, or you can buy the part and do it yourself. If you install the part wrong or it's not the problem, that's your fault.
    It's not

Your car won't explode, burn your house down, or kill your family in their sleep if you screw something up on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    Your car won't explode, burn your house down, or kill your family in their sleep if you screw something up on it.
    Incorrectly replacing a part of the fuel system could do any of the above. And worse than that, incorrectly replacing a part of the brake system can very easily kill innocent others.

Incorrectly replacing a part of the fuel system could do any of the above. And worse than that, incorrectly replacing a part of the brake system can very easily kill innocent others.
    Exactly.

I had a call out of the blue today from a "contractor" who happened to be 50 miles away. He wanted to buy a circuit board for an "old" Lennox furnace. He wouldnt say who he was or what company. I told him I had no OTC stock to sell and gave him the name of a company 25 miles closer to him...

Edit: a reverse number lookup found it is Kevin Miller Heating, Inc. in Olean, NY. I wonder why he cant get his own parts?
    Last edited by HVAC_Marc; 11-15-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: info found
    Political Correctness, the language of wussies.

I think that selling parts to home owners would not be good I would not like the call if some one died from a part I sold

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Home depot will sell you everything you need to build the whole house - even the electrical - everything from the breaker panel to the outlets. Ford will sell you every part of the car. Walmart will sell you a shotgun and ammo without blinking an eye.

We sell hvac parts. If someone's house burns down it's not because of the PART, and it's not the parts counter's fault. We gladly offer service as well. We'll come to your house, repair the system if it is repairable, and warranty the work.

all the parts house's i buy from well sale the General public parts as long as it isnt equipment but well sale home owners equipment with the proper paperwork that TX requires but can not and well not sale them refrigerant or gauges, and thats fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by seanrcaldwell View Post
    all the parts house's i buy from well sale the General public parts as long as it isnt equipment but well sale home owners equipment with the proper paperwork that TX requires but can not and well not sale them refrigerant or gauges, and thats fine with me.
    Thats interesting. Most of the posts I've read about Texas make it seem that the supply houses are stricter than what you've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    We sell to random peopl, its not very often and when it doesn't work, which most times it doesn't, they call us to come fix it. So we win twice. I don't feel threatened at all by a HO trying to repair their own system. We don't sell refrigerant and no warranty/returns on anything.
    Perfect !!
    I'll bet they value your expertise that much more after they tried to DIY and failed.

I don't have a problem selling most parts OTC, but they do get a good understanding that it has no warranty on it and can not be returned for any reason. where as if we come out and install it and it is a bad part we warrant it. Over 50% of the time they have us out to look at it, especially after they tell me what it's doing and I tell them that may not be the problem.

Having said that, this summer I had a HO come to the door about 9PM looking for a capacitor. It seems that a certain tech from another company was fixing it for them on the side and apparently didn't want to go to the place he worked to get one. So even though I had a Turbo 200 on the truck I told him that I was out of that size. If the HO wouldn't have told about the other tech I probably would have sold it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast