Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Selling parts to a customer

Does your shop sell parts over the counter to customers? We dont but i had a customer come in and ask for a time delay for an old a/c, i told him we cant sell parts otc due to liability. He jumped out the delay.

If you have shop with a showroom open to the public, I see no reason that selling filters, water panels, belts (yeah you want those people seeing your showroom), and small parts such as time delays, contactors and such. Anything above and beyond that I think short changes your lifeblood.

We do sell filters to customers and maybe registers, but nothing else. I dont like turning away customers, but i kinda agree withnthe policy of other parts. We offer the go over and install also make sure that is the problem. Its Normal servcie call in the end and we have a happy customer.

If you don't sell to the customer, guess where the customer is going to buy the parts? (Most likely at a competitor's store!) Restricting sales of refrigerant plumbing parts to the EPA certified would probably be a good idea even though that's legally not necessary.

It's no different from auto parts stores and dealers being more than willing to sell safety critical parts like brake pads and fuel pumps to regular customers.

Interesting question: at the stores that do restrict sales to customers, are those restrictions automatically lifted if the customer shows his/her EPA card, even for parts that have nothing to do with the plumbing?

We do, but are upfront about no warranty or returns. They can't return it for any reason. That is sometimes enough to make them think twice and ask for a service call instead.

Most supply houses won't warranty returns on electrical parts. I know on motor returns the house will check the shaft for set screw marks and won't take a return that's been installed.
    This State isn't supposed to sell parts that require a license like anything in the gas train after the shutoff valve but no one checks if there is an account.
    It's not like civilians are going to do much economic damage as most won't attempt to tackle something they don't understand. As it is the equipment continues to become more complicated.
    I knew a contractor that would push one brand of faucet telling customers they could repair it themselves and wouldn't need to call him back. He saw it as a way of building trust.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

HVAC parts are locked up, must be run by the mob or something. Locally no one will sell you anything, you must go to Grainger to buy. Outside of them, online sources such as eBay and also I have purchased from Shorty's HVAC supply (online supply) in the past, prices are good and shipping is very fast.

I agree with the above, if the local places won't sell to a homeowner we will find other ways of obtaining the parts. The more educated homeowners are getting EPA 608 certificates.

If someone wants a part that requires no diagnostics then sure. If they want something that can blow up or burn down there house? Nope, go elsewhere.

We sell to random peopl, its not very often and when it doesn't work, which most times it doesn't, they call us to come fix it. So we win twice. I don't feel threatened at all by a HO trying to repair their own system. We don't sell refrigerant and no warranty/returns on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    We sell to random peopl, its not very often and when it doesn't work, which most times it doesn't, they call us to come fix it. So we win twice. I don't feel threatened at all by a HO trying to repair their own system. We don't sell refrigerant and no warranty/returns on anything.
    I don't have problem when a home owner trying to fix his own house, but i do have problem if he is compare prices from online shop to local shop and asking for discount.
    I don't think this is a fair act at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Perfect !!
    I'll bet they value your expertise that much more after they tried to DIY and failed.

I have heard the office tell over the phone customers to try Grainger. I agree with the blow up or burn down approach. Motor or circuit boards why not?

Quote Originally Posted by jcrew4242 View Post
    I don't have problem when a home owner trying to fix his own house, but i do have problem if he is compare prices from online shop to local shop and asking for discount.
    I don't think this is a fair act at all.
    They pay what we charge or they can buy from the web and wait for it to come in the mail, we're not Walmart and we don't accept competitors coupons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast