Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused electrician or mechanical

the low voltage wire running from the cond unit to the air handler on new construction have to be done by the electrician or the ac contractor ?

either or. I shouldn't matter. did someone tell you different?

It matter to me at this point becuse is always a conflict between elctrical and mechanical contractor.

Local code decides.

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Local code decides.
    I have check the fl building code and don't mentioned , you know where find them?

I would just run it and get it done. bill it

Yea that's the problem , it increase my estimate and I don't need that , beside I know how to handle , one way or the other , only want to know if there is a code for it.

can you call the codes dept? how long is the run if it's going to break the bank? I don't think it matters here. I never asked. I just always do it. I know it's done right and my way. is it the only thing left to do?

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    can you call the codes dept? how long is the run if it's going to break the bank? I don't think it matters here. I never asked. I just always do it. I know it's done right and my way. is it the only thing left to do?
    No , I cant call because they never answer , put you on hold for live, but I can go to Miami building dept and talk to chief inspector there , I thought was eased ask here, but not , my mistake ..... I do not know you guys but I have lost several installations even for 5 dollars , Miami is full of tight competitors and 5, 10 or 25 dollars put you apart.

Quote Originally Posted by aircool52 View Post
    No , I cant call because they never answer , put you on hold for live, but I can go to Miami building dept and talk to chief inspector there , I thought was eased ask here, but not , my mistake ..... I do not know you guys but I have lost several installations even for 5 dollars , Miami is full of tight competitors and 5, 10 or 25 dollars put you apart.
    that's crazy.

That's why we don't do RNC.

In Maine its usually mechanical.

If your not a licensed electrician or don't have a low voltage license it would seem to me that it's not your problem. I've seen electrical contractors try to throw stuff on the mechanical. I don't know what the requirements are in fla. For a contract it should be included or omitted so there's no conflict. Some places a plumber would have to run the condensate. It depends on not only the State but sometimes the county. Right now I'm thinking Cook Co, Ill.
    Maybe if you word your contract to include wiring, termination, commissioning your price would look better. I end contracts saying 'To install a complete and operating system. To a GC it's headache free.
    Inclusion sells better than omission. So even if your price is a bit higher GC's hate to be a referee.
    That being said I have seen electricians run #12 for low voltage because "That's all we had" #12 can do damage to a subase. Even when the sparky was running the wires I asked if I could terminate the wires. They always say sure. You just don't want anyone except a hvac tech doing termination. Sometimes though one will surprise me and do just fine.
    Tracers work both ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast