Thread: Advice Please

Advice Please

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

My wife and I purchased a 1950s era 1.5 story home with a partially finished basement about a month and a half ago. Over the holiday weekend, the condenser compressor crapped out on us. The outdoor unit is a 3 ton late- mid-80s Goodman and the air handler/furnace inside is a mid- to late-90s Trane unit.

Thankfully, a home warranty was in place and their service provider will:

(1) replace the outdoor unit with a 13 SEER R22 system, requiring the payment of about $, covering new refrigerant, disposal fees, etc. I'd be left with the old coils, so who knows how efficient the system would be; or,

(2) give me a "cash out" of approximately $750 , with which I can put towards a Carrier 24ABC6 system, with new refirgerant lines, and coils OR take it to a third party HVAC contractor of my choice. The service provider has given me a specific quote for this system, the installation of new lines and new coils. Suffice it to say, the cash out (and rebate from the utility) will cover a little better than 1/5 the price of the system.

Any thoughts about the route I should take? Is the 16 SEER system worth the jump in cost?
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-09-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Price

Need to know where you live to know the length of the cooling season, etc.

In 1987 the SEER was raised to 10 & 12-SEER; so it could be that rating or lower...

The indoor coil will NOT match the larger coils & refrigerant capacity of the 13-SEER condenser.

Could they just replace the compressor in the old condenser?

If you have a short cooling season the 13-SEER may never begin to pay for itself.

Try to explore all the options available to you...

Cash out and find a GOOD dealer to put in a matched system sized right!

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Need to know where you live to know the length of the cooling season, etc.
    Southwestern Ohio.

In 1987 the SEER was raised to 10 & 12-SEER; so it could be that rating or lower...

The indoor coil will NOT match the larger coils & refrigerant capacity of the 13-SEER condenser.
    This is a reputable HVAC contractor. (for whatever that's worth). What would happen if the 13 SEER unit were connected to the indoor coil?

Could they just replace the compressor in the old condenser?
    Apparently that's not an option. I think that's what they wanted to do, but couldn't get the model for the unit since the tags had all worn off.

If you have a short cooling season the 13-SEER may never begin to pay for itself.
    I assume you mean the 16-SEER may never begin to pay for itself, but, in any case, that's a concern.

Well, Columbus OH is 90F & 73F wet bulb; you may have a fair length of cooling season, which might make the decision to go for the new 13-SEER a good option. Depends on price & credits for a 16-SEER...many times it's worth it to have a system that is super efficient & that you are proud of.

The compressor model numbers usually don't wear off as much as the others; if U know the tonnage a workable replacement compressor could be found; most Supply Outlets should know...depends on the cooling coil's metering device (cap-tubes more critical, TXV least critical) as to how critical the compressor specs need to be. Considering the age of the system, I'd consider going to a new system.
    Don't oversize a new A/C system!