Thread: water source heat pumps tripping on high head

Post Likes

Angry water source heat pumps tripping on high head

Hi all
    I'm pretty new to the game. I need your help
    I have Carrier console water cource heat pumps that keep trip out on high head in AC. i'm not sure why. I have clean the filters, blown out the evap coil, recovered refrig pulled vac and recharged(in case there were any noncondensables in the system), checked water flow from both directions of the condenser. nothing is helping. Now I'm leaning towards either the water loop is air bound(there are no vents in the water loop) or the condenser heat exchanger is scaled up. Am I on the right track? I want to take temp readings of the supply and return water lines feeding the condenser. What temp differencial should I expect?
    Thanks in advance for your time and any help you can provide.

Post Likes
    Post a good log of pressures and temps on water and refrigerant side and I am confident someone here can help you solve it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant2172 View Post
    Hi all
    I'm pretty new to the game. I need your help
    I have Carrier console water cource heat pumps that keep trip out on high head in AC. i'm not sure why. I have clean the filters, blown out the evap coil, recovered refrig pulled vac and recharged(in case there were any noncondensables in the system), checked water flow from both directions of the condenser. nothing is helping. Now I'm leaning towards either the water loop is air bound(there are no vents in the water loop) or the condenser heat exchanger is scaled up. Am I on the right track? I want to take temp readings of the supply and return water lines feeding the condenser. What temp differencial should I expect?
    Thanks in advance for your time and any help you can provide.
    Is the system new or old? Has it done this in the past or is it a new development?

Has there been recent changes to the usage in the building either in the rooms served by the units or elsewhere served by the same water source? For instance was a large computer room or other large load added to another area that could have set the water source out of temperature balance? (Heat pumps installed primarily for heating may now be operating more frequently in cooling mode and taxing the water source.)

Post Likes
    What is regulating the flow of water across the condenser section heat exchanger (ie. plate and frame)? Check the circuit setter or what ever you are using to regulate your GPM across the condenser. Take a pressure drop and then compare it to what the factory recommends, your head pressure should be about 225 psig. Is this the only unit that trips?
    I have done so much with so little for so long, that now I can do almost anything with nothing at all.

Post Likes
    What is your entering condenser water temp? Leaving water temp? condenser approach? Make sure the water reg valve (assuming it has one) is not adjusted too far in the closed position. A high approach means not enough heat transfer; too much flow, fouled exchanger, etc. Let us know what you find and good luck!

Post Likes

would like to know what was found

I have seen this situation numerous times in the past. Most often caused by filthy loop water. Some brilliant sole decides to remove the screen from the circuit setter and the coil fills with mud like beads!! (Improper loop maintenance) Check the screen in the circuit setter, if it has one and if not, you will have to check the condenser. It sounds like you have checked it pretty good. When checking the water flow listen to see if you can hear anything rattling around in there. Let us know what you find! I'm curious. I know this is an old post but would love to know what was found.
    Last edited by j3hvac; 08-11-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: old post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in