Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Uneven sheets of ice

Hello, and thanks for the help.

I have a B320 model manitowoc ice machine. The problem with it is that I can't get a nice uniform sheet of ice, I understand that the top will be someone thinned than the bottom. I'm thinking of adjusting my txv since everything else looks good, I'm thinking the evap is starved. I would really appreciate any pointers since I'm new to the industry. Thank you so much.

Do you have a uniform water pattern over the plate?? Before I start messing with any adjustments in an ice machine I verify the water side first..
    Also down load the service handbook for the machine and compare its operating parameters to what the hand book says it should do.
    Is the TXV on that machine even adjustable ??

just found out its not.

It's not adjustable sorry, also I found it iced up. My water is falling evenly over the plate, each cycle takes about 30minutes.

Make sure your ice thickness probe is clean and check your ref charge.. Could just be a little low on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostmonkey74 View Post
    Also down load the service handbook for the machine and compare its operating parameters to what the hand book says it should do.
    X-2

You need to read the manual before doing anything else! This can be a simple fix.

Clean the damm machine. All removable parts at the top of the evaporator and the condenser coil & fan blade if it is greased or clogged. Don't even check your refrigerant levels! That is the last thing you do.

The last thing I do is put gauges on an ice machine.
    Make sure it is clean. Remove all the hoses,pump drip bar,and clean the water level sensor and ice thickness sensor.
    Don't forget to use the cleaner and follow the instructions on the back of the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    Make sure your ice thickness probe is clean and check your ref charge.. Could just be a little low on gas.

The water supply could be too warm. The dump valve could be leaking. The float valve could be leaking or misadjusted. Water might be spraying into the bin rather than flowing down the evaps, causing float to introduce relatively warm water.

Less likely... Could be low on charge.
    Least likely... Bad TXV

Like others have said, clean it and check all the water side functions first.

The pocket manual is a must, very helpful and has never failed me in 20+years. Uneven pattern is a little vague. Is it uneven top to bottom or side to side? One indicates water issue the other indicates refrigeration issue.

It is thick from the bottom, thinner on the top. Thank you all for the helpful tips.

Thank you all for the helpful information. I will take it apart and assure all is clean, this was my first post and found it really helpful, kinda feels like you got big brothers telling you what to do, at least I think cause I'm an only child. Thanks again!!

Thick to thin bottom to top indicates refrigeration issue, most of the time. Thick to thin from side to side indicates a water issue, most of the time. There are exceptions to every rule except one. If you didn't just clean it yourself its dirty!!! Do nothing else until YOU clean it. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast