Hmm highside is not hot any longer. Should I call a tech?

my A/C has been working very well since I got evap coil replaced 3 years ago in DFW area. Today, I felt the house is hotter than usual and decided to go out to see what's going on. The low side is still cold and swating but not as cold as it used to be. The high side is not hot, not very warm but slightly warm.

A/C is still maintaining the temp I set. However, humidity level is not going down ( no rain here for 3 weeks now) and that's probably why I felt hotter than before.

When I got my A/C checked up last year, everything was fine but I didn't get it checked up.

I want some idea what'd be going on so that I can determine if I should call a tech. If I should monitor the behaviour a few days, i'd like to know what I need to monitor.

Condensor is original 13 years old Bryant 3.5 ton for 2nd floor. Evap coil was replaced.

Thanks in advance.

gosh, I posted twice and have no idea how to delete the duplicate

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-09-2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Non Pro * member, no warning caught himself
    ... however, much work still needs to be done.
    CLOSED LOOP newer ratings are listed, but in numerical EER's Closed- is posted below OPEN LOOP EER's:

http://www.energystar.gov/productfin...r=0&lastpage=1

If you're concerned the unit isn't performing properly then calling a tech is your best bet..

Quote Originally Posted by noltian View Post
    gosh, I posted twice and have no idea how to delete the duplicate
    Accidents happen. The triangle at the bottom of each post is the report button. Next time something goes awry, push it and tell us about it.

I removed the other thread for you. Take care.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by noltian View Post
    my A/C has been working very well since I got evap coil replaced 3 years ago in DFW area. Today, I felt the house is hotter than usual and decided to go out to see what's going on. The low side is still cold and swating but not as cold as it used to be. The high side is not hot, not very warm but slightly warm.

A/C is still maintaining the temp I set. However, humidity level is not going down ( no rain here for 3 weeks now) and that's probably why I felt hotter than before.

When I got my A/C checked up last year, everything was fine but I didn't get it checked up.

I want some idea what'd be going on so that I can determine if I should call a tech. If I should monitor the behaviour a few days, i'd like to know what I need to monitor.

Condensor is original 13 years old Bryant 3.5 ton for 2nd floor. Evap coil was replaced.

Thanks in advance.
    I take it you had the system serviced last year but not this year (sentence above about that seems incomplete).

Have you changed the indoor filter recently?

When was the last time the outdoor coil was cleaned?

These are two things you as an owner can check. Beyond that you may have the beginnings of a refrigerant leak or other concern causing a deterioration of performance. If your comfort has been fine until very recently, either deferred maintenance is the culprit, or a deeper problem requiring a tech's assistance is required.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Law of thermodynamics-

Heat is transfered, never lost.

heat out of CU= heat being removed from somewhere else.

But, get a professional to look at it.

What indoor temp is it maintaining at what outdoor temp.

The liquid line should not be hot. If it is - probably a sign
    the outside unit isn't working well.

indoor filter was replaced two weeks ago and condensor coil was cleaned using garden hose at the same time.

temp 78 is maintained still even though I feel A/C runs longer than before. (outdoor 94). What I noticed is that humidity level is not dropping like it used to..which probably make me feel hotter than before..

Thanks for reply..I wanted to have educated guess before I called a tech since I don't have a tech I can rely on yet while I have had a bad experience with some

78 indoor and outdoor was 94. It used to be very warm....I guess hot was overrated.

Take a thermometer and read the temp at the filter after it stabilizes. Then read temp from closest supply register. Tell us what the temps are.

Also you mentioned the outdoor coil. While the coil doesn't look dirty. When you were to watch me properly clean one you would be amazed at the dirt that comes out! I wouldn't worry too much about this unless the line goes back to even very warm.

If the tech that comes out can take detailed readings and you post them here our panel will review them.

If it gets to that point of a tech is coming we can give you a list of numbers to ask for.