Gas Fireplace turns on and stay on for 1 min and turns off

Hi,

We have a gas fireplace (10 Yr old) and it turns on and stay on for 1 min or so and then it turns off by itself. If I switch it off and back on again, same thing happens, the flame comes and stay for a min and then turns back off.

It was working fine till last month. I pressed the pilot button, it comes back again and stay for 1 min and turns off again.

I was reading some blogs and some one is saying that, may be it is problem with flame sensor.

Can someone confirm what could be the issue and how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Siraj

Sounds as if one of the safety devices are in need of servicing and are shutting the unit down. Might be a good idea to call a professional and let them see what the problem is. It isn't a good idea for a homeowner to try and repair these things. Call someone that is trained in this field.

Quote Originally Posted by siraj View Post
    Hi,

We have a gas fireplace (10 Yr old) and it turns on and stay on for 1 min or so and then it turns off by itself. If I switch it off and back on again, same thing happens, the flame comes and stay for a min and then turns back off.

It was working fine till last month. I pressed the pilot button, it comes back again and stay for 1 min and turns off again.

I was reading some blogs and some one is saying that, may be it is problem with flame sensor.

Can someone confirm what could be the issue and how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Siraj

Please review the Forum Rules, there is a link in my signature line. This is not a DIY site and we can't help you other than to advise you to call a licensed fireplace repair company.

Thanks for your cooperation.

After 18 years, I still have a hard time figuring what is wrong with some of these so called simple units. I often wondered why at school we spent 6 of the 8 hrs covering the millivolt syestem. Sounds like your trouble is related to an electronic unit. If you cant afford a service tech at this point to come out, save some money and call back in sept. most service guys in the industry have worked on hundreds of these units.

Give us the model number and manufacture this will help in determining what is wrong with the unit.

Manufacturer = SUPERIOR, Model# DS-36RN-2

Manufacturer = SUPERIOR, Model# DS-36RN-2

Thanks for your help.

The wall switch is good

When I turn the switch on, the fireplace comes on, and stay for a minute and then switches off by it self. If I turn off the switch and back on, it comes on for a min again and goes off.

So the wall switch is working.

Thanks.

There are many things that could be wrong, so instead of throwing parts at it you should have a pro come diagnose the problem properly and repair it.