Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 71
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Coastal Maine
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Point well made. I can respect someone who actually uses their thermometer to try to dial a system in. The ones I refer to use no thermometer and only look at pressures.

    I actually bought my first set of digitals on a whim with the group buy we did here years ago. It would be like me trying to go back to a phone with no internet where things just wouldn't be the same!
    No worries. Speaking of that. I still use a Motorola Quantico flip phone. No internet, no texting.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,953
    Quote Originally Posted by meplumber View Post
    I have been reading your posts for some time and I respect your knowledge. You appear to be one of the up and comers of our trade, but I disagree with you on this one.

    I have been doing this for a really long time. Since long before we had digital anything available. I started up equipment that is older than most of the stuff getting replaced in the 'Wall of Pride' pictures. Having said all that, I can setup a system with a set of analogs and a Fluke clamp on temp meter that will give me the same result when verified with one of the digital manifolds. There are a couple of us at my shop that are older than dirt. We all still use analogs. The younger guys have started making the switch. Good for them.

    The analogs worked for a long time. They still work. The batteries never die, the rain doesn't effect them and the display doesn't drop out when it is -10 below.

    If I were your age, I would definitely be on the band wagon with the digitals. Just don't dump on those of us that still do it with analogs and have done it successfully that way for a long, long time.

    Cheers.
    I thoroughly understand what you are saying... The choice of tools and procedures should be that of the person doing the work... as long as the results meet a specification (not saying using analogs will not meet that spec).

    I am kinda in the middle... not young, yet not old either (sometimes I feel old though... ). I prefer to use the higher tech tools... yet prefer my high tech tools to be rock solid and bullet proof... a list of features comes second to toughness. On that note... not much one can do about the battery thing... However I am sure we all use battery operated leak detectors...

    The goal IMO is quality work... how each person personally chooses to gets there (as long as they DO get there) is part of being a professional IMO.

    And I am spoiled with a large screen smart phone to look up obscure tech data online. Would have to go back to the van and use a laptop if I did not have the smart phone.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sparta, NJ
    Posts
    14
    ATS 890 and to the group,
    Testo greatly appreciates your business and that you need products that work reliably day in and day out. Testo does stand behind its products. So before you spend additional money on another product, please contact me to see what we can do correct your situation. Testo strives to design, manufacture, and deliver accurate and reliable field instruments that are built to withstand the rugged, daily use of technicians. Even with the hundreds of thousands of satisfied users that we have, we don’t underestimate the importance of taking care of every single customer. You can contact me at john@testo.com or 800-227-0729 x124.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,588
    I love my digi cools. I have been reading on this site for awhile know, what I see is for every 10 issues with digital gauges, maybe 1 is digi cool, and its usually an insignificant issue. Seems the other 2 always have major issues and need to be sent back. I guess it's no big deal to send someone 3 more sets when there made In china for $5. That last part may not be a true statement, I'm not sure where there made or what the cost is.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Coastal Maine
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by jbickers View Post
    ATS 890 and to the group,
    Testo greatly appreciates your business and that you need products that work reliably day in and day out. Testo does stand behind its products. So before you spend additional money on another product, please contact me to see what we can do correct your situation. Testo strives to design, manufacture, and deliver accurate and reliable field instruments that are built to withstand the rugged, daily use of technicians. Even with the hundreds of thousands of satisfied users that we have, we don’t underestimate the importance of taking care of every single customer. You can contact me at john@testo.com or 800-227-0729 x124.
    John, we all appreciate you taking the time to respond to this thread. Personally, the problems that we were seeing with your digital manifolds all seemed related to durability. Technicians shell out a high percentage of a paycheck (or two) to purchase these new digitals and to have them perform unreliably is a major problem. The two sets that we had were a huge waste of money. It started with temp clamps not reading at all. They were sent back and repaired under warranty. Then screen glitches. Sent back and repaired. Then inaccurate temp and pressure readings, etc.... The list went on and on to the point where we just stopped using them. One of them sits atop a file cabinet in my office along with several other poor choices. The other is still in the technician's van, but only because he paid for it himself and can't bear to take it out.

    I would suggest that you consult with your colleagues and spend some time on quality and durability. Aside from that, your manifolds seem to be easy to read and operate. When they worked, the guys liked them, alot.

    Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

    Cheers.

  6. #19
    This issue that TEsto are not durable is not an issue I agree with at all

    I have AK900 and Testo 557 and 570. I have all options that come with the testo 570. including the micron gauge that rreads directly to the 570 screen.
    I handle my 570 more carefully than I do the AK 900 because it does so much more than the ak 900. I man handle my 900
    because that is what it was made for.
    I also man handle my 557 as rough as my 900. It has survived just as stoutly asmy 900.

    so asfar as I am concerned, some of these complaints about testo might just be a bit over-exaggerated.

    since I own both instruments I feel I am more than qualified to make these statements.

    Just my 2 cents but sincw I have had enough time with both gauges and seen how they perform I just think Testo is getting a bum rap.

    I think thwre are spoil sport who are more vocal than most.
    Last edited by hvac5646; 07-09-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: sp

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    514
    Love my Testo 550 two years no problems

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,577
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    This issue that TEsto are not durable is not an issue I agree with at all

    I have AK900 and Testo 557 and 570. I have all option that come with the testo 570. including the micron gauge that reach directly to the 570 screen.
    I handle 570 more carefully than I do the AKk 900 because it does so much more than the ak 900. I man handle my 900
    because that is what it was made for.
    I also man handle my 557 as rough as my 900.

    so asfar as I am concerned, some of these complaints about testo might just be a bit over-exaggerated.

    since I both instruments I feel I am more more than qualified to make these statements.
    The 550 is not the same as the 557 or 570
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Upstate, South Carolina
    Posts
    99
    Try Yellow Jacket System Analyzer, the best out , no one come close

  10. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    The 550 is not the same as the 557 or 570
    557 a little more accurate and a micron gauge...only diff

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a boiler room
    Posts
    7,050
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    This issue that TEsto are not durable is not an issue I agree with at all

    I have AK900 and Testo 557 and 570. I have all options that come with the testo 570. including the micron gauge that rreads directly to the 570 screen.
    I handle my 570 more carefully than I do the AK 900 because it does so much more than the ak 900. I man handle my 900
    because that is what it was made for.
    I also man handle my 557 as rough as my 900. It has survived just as stoutly asmy 900.

    so asfar as I am concerned, some of these complaints about testo might just be a bit over-exaggerated.

    since I own both instruments I feel I am more than qualified to make these statements.

    Just my 2 cents but sincw I have had enough time with both gauges and seen how they perform I just think Testo is getting a bum rap.

    I think thwre are spoil sport who are more vocal than most.
    I own both also, and the DC is the only one that has been trouble free, multiple issues with the Testo. Testo makes good accurate instruments, but their durability does not come close to Digi-Cool.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,577
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    557 a little more accurate and a micron gauge...only diff
    Unless they made changes they were different per TTT on there site from Jim. He listed the differences and it wasn't just the accuracy.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

  13. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Unless they made changes they were different per TTT on there site from Jim. He listed the differences and it wasn't just the accuracy.
    That's not what I heard or was told. Far as I know 550 is the same frame/housing with less functions.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event