Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

fed up with testo 550

Bought a testo 550 a year ago. First six months set worked great. Then the problems started. Screen went blank one day.sent in to testo got repair. Two months later low side temp stopped working.sent in again. Borrowed brothers 550 while waiting for mine to come back. One week later brothers set somehow gets oil inside sreen and low side clamp reads on and off have to wiggle sensor to get reading.have to send to testo. Gauges ride in hard plastic case when not used and I unplug sensors after every use. Regretting my purchase. Can't go back to analogs. Will proprably try to sell them and hope ak900 doesn't dissapoint.

We had the same issue at work. Sold all of ours a long time ago. I would say that they are just fine if you didn't use them on every service call. And only used them once and a while.

Very true I agree. I use them everyday. What did you guys switch too.

I still have mine and switched to the ak900's. I really like them. Do you know anyone that would let you use them for a day or check them out?

Quote Originally Posted by ats890 View Post
    Bought a testo 550 a year ago. First six months set worked great. Then the problems started. Screen went blank one day.sent in to testo got repair. Two months later low side temp stopped working.sent in again. Borrowed brothers 550 while waiting for mine to come back. One week later brothers set somehow gets oil inside sreen and low side clamp reads on and off have to wiggle sensor to get reading.have to send to testo. Gauges ride in hard plastic case when not used and I unplug sensors after every use. Regretting my purchase. Can't go back to analogs. Will proprably try to sell them and hope ak900 doesn't dissapoint.
    You will like the AK900...

I just clamp the temp clamps to the yellow hose and hang the whole set by the hook on a shelf in the van.... Like I did for the last 6+ years with the old DC 1200/1250. Never an issue.

The plug where the temp clamp wires goes into the head can get banged up... be careful of it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

550, Testo DRSAs, seem to be great for lab work and not so good in everyday field work!!!

I have spent about enough money on shipping repairs to buy some AK900s!!!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    550, Testo DRSAs, seem to be great for lab work and not so good in everyday field work!!!

I have spent about enough money on shipping repairs to buy some AK900s!!!!!
    Agreed.

We have two sets of 550's that have spent as much time with Testo or in shipment than actually on the job. They worked great for a few months, then went south hard and fast. I went back to analogs. I am too old to ever be thrilled with the digitals, old habits die hard. Most of the guys have gone over to AK's. No issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    I still have mine and switched to the ak900's. I really like them. Do you know anyone that would let you use them for a day or check them out?
    no one at work has even heard of digicool. I know about them from this forum. Good to know their reliable. It's a shame the 550 aren't durable I rely on them so much . Hard to imagine having to use the analogs again.

no one at work has even heard of digicool. I know about them from this forum. Good to know their reliable. It's a shame the 550 aren't durable I rely on them so much . Hard to imagine having to use the analogs again.
    Don't do it!!! Analogs are for show!

No guys in my company heard of digi-cool either. They only have seen testo and field piece as that is what supply houses carry. My word was enough to get a couple guys to pull the trigger on a set of ak900s .. the only issues are the sensors they ship with and the manifold isn't the greatest. The drsa seems pretty solid for the most part

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

What bothers me about my coworkers is they see me use them, say they love, say they care about their work but continue to use analogs. Just can't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    What bothers me about my coworkers is they see me use them, say they love, say they care about their work but continue to use analogs. Just can't understand it.
    I have been reading your posts for some time and I respect your knowledge. You appear to be one of the up and comers of our trade, but I disagree with you on this one.

I have been doing this for a really long time. Since long before we had digital anything available. I started up equipment that is older than most of the stuff getting replaced in the 'Wall of Pride' pictures. Having said all that, I can setup a system with a set of analogs and a Fluke clamp on temp meter that will give me the same result when verified with one of the digital manifolds. There are a couple of us at my shop that are older than dirt. We all still use analogs. The younger guys have started making the switch. Good for them.

The analogs worked for a long time. They still work. The batteries never die, the rain doesn't effect them and the display doesn't drop out when it is -10 below.

If I were your age, I would definitely be on the band wagon with the digitals. Just don't dump on those of us that still do it with analogs and have done it successfully that way for a long, long time.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by meplumber View Post
    I have been reading your posts for some time and I respect your knowledge. You appear to be one of the up and comers of our trade, but I disagree with you on this one.

I have been doing this for a really long time. Since long before we had digital anything available. I started up equipment that is older than most of the stuff getting replaced in the 'Wall of Pride' pictures. Having said all that, I can setup a system with a set of analogs and a Fluke clamp on temp meter that will give me the same result when verified with one of the digital manifolds. There are a couple of us at my shop that are older than dirt. We all still use analogs. The younger guys have started making the switch. Good for them.

The analogs worked for a long time. They still work. The batteries never die, the rain doesn't effect them and the display doesn't drop out when it is -10 below.

If I were your age, I would definitely be on the band wagon with the digitals. Just don't dump on those of us that still do it with analogs and have done it successfully that way for a long, long time.

Cheers.
    Point well made. I can respect someone who actually uses their thermometer to try to dial a system in. The ones I refer to use no thermometer and only look at pressures.

I actually bought my first set of digitals on a whim with the group buy we did here years ago. It would be like me trying to go back to a phone with no internet where things just wouldn't be the same!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast