Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Actually, upgrading to current (no pun intended) electrical standards makes much more sense than worrying about a puff of gas being released.

I'll bet little to none of the NEC was covered in your schooling. For example, do you know that article 440 (which covers condensing units) allows for ground fault/overcurrent devices to be sized much larger than the conductor's rated ampacity? It's because the overloads in the motors and compressors are what protects the conductors, and the ground fault/overcurrent devices can be upsized to 225% of fla totals to allow the compressor to start without tripping the breaker or opening the fuses.

AND, you can run sealtite to any length you want, IF you include an equipment grounding conductor, properly sized. If you are relying on the metal in the sealtite to act as your EGC, your limit is 6 feet.
    I'm 38 years old and my dad has always worked in HVAC, before reclaimers and cerification, if my bike tires were low, I used R22 to air them up. If the lawnmower tires were low, I used R22 to air them up. If the football or basketball needed air, I used R22 to air them up. Got dirty? We used R22 to blow the dust off. Of course it was hard being a kid with a football that got bigger the more you played with it Just agreeing with TB and some of these old school guys before the certification days.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

double post

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    I'm 38 years old and my dad has always worked in HVAC, before reclaimers and cerification, if my bike tires were low, I used R22 to air them up. If the lawnmower tires were low, I used R22 to air them up. If the football or basketball needed air, I used R22 to air them up. Got dirty? We used R22 to blow the dust off. Of course it was hard being a kid with a football that got bigger the more you played with it Just agreeing with TB and some of these old school guys before the certification days.
    Same here. Its RECOVERY MACHINE, not RECLAIMER.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    You like that too hey? Lol. The op sounds like a real joy to work with ha ha

had a med temp rack low on juice.. 240 # later enough in for it to run. found leak next day.... couple pounds nothing in the big scheme- but his was intentional-mine a leak I found and repaired

How'd that work out when it got cold out? :beer:

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by walden.raccoon View Post
    Yeah like using a broken nitrogen regulator just 5 feet away from children on the other side of a chain link fence...that's far worse than releasing r22 into the air. I told the kids to play on the other side of the day care playground Because this lazy tech i worked with just abuses all his tools including high pressure cylinders and regulator, one time he nearly blew out my gauges because the regulator is always on 300+ psi, never letting him use my gauges again. No wonder his suction gauge was toast!
    Nitrogen is an inert gas, and harmless unless it displaces enough Oxygen to dilute the supply of O2 to breathe. Kinda tuff for a broken N2 regulator to dump enough N2 6-8 ft away, and outside, to dilute the air the kids breathe.

In school, they teach EVERYTHING to the extreme, believing most of the students will apply about 25% at best of what they learned... it is the way it is done. You are the exception who soaked it all up and are truly trying to do it right.

The good news, you will go a LONG ways... the bad news; ya gotta chill and not take it sooo seriously!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

And it all started with the Montreal Protocol in 1994. But when we got away from that all of the rules, laws, taxes and regulations stayed. Don't you just love the government? How many billions did the government make out of that?

Quote Originally Posted by RACMT View Post
    I'm from Canada, what does the EPA cert entail?

I think he's talkin more along the lines of the pressure of the tank propelling the 25# steel cylinder towards the children, not suffocating them.

Remember reading about companys being fined. I think a junk yard was 1 and some demolition company's.
    This was in the 90's. A new broom sweeps clean. Then a question would be what harm in venting the new ozone friendly refrigerants? I know in 3 years or so they are going to tell us that we need to change again.
    BUT what will we do about the cows farting? Recovery units for menthane ? You I know some farms are using it for running generators. OK off my soap box for now.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    There has never ever been a case where the Epa has put away a tech or contractor.

Never fined one either. And noone ever has collected that reward money.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Don't care what it is anymore, I do controls

I remember reading about a prank where they filled a basketball with R11 or something. It stayed nicely inflated while in the car, but bring it inside and it spontaneously goes flat in the middle of a game...

The funny part is, if you can find it, you can still buy and use cans of R22 for powering paintball guns. Not too sure about the purity, though...

I remember my very first week an old tech needed to get the numbers right on a system before he called it in to the utility co. for a rebate program. In defense of the OP, I was horrified as well as the grass around the unit turned white and froze in about a two foot round area around the manifold hose laying open on the ground; vapor clouding the air. I walked in the basement and busied myself with nothing. I was thinking "this is my first week out, we'll get caught and I'll never work in the field again. What a waste of all that time and money for the education!"

Not too long after that another one let a small (but definately illegal) charge go from a condensing unit. But he was being sneaky about it, in a concealed area and put a rag over it to keep the cloud down. He looked up at me and said" you know this is wrong, right? I just don't feel like grabbing the tank and machine for this little bit..."

The other week it was taking a long time to drain a five ton. I debated getting some wet rags to cool the tank but it got down pretty low...or so I thought. No one was around and I was expecting a little hiss and puff. Karma ended up giving me an oil bath. Stains did not come out in the wash. That one might have actually been legal as I got it under a certain percentage.

I understand, OP; I was there not too long ago. But as the others have instructed: Don't worry about it and certainly do not make waves. And don't be surprised if your hoses come loose now and again down the road; mine do. Damn things.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast