Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TXV issue?

Is it a mobile home unit or a standard unit ducted into the mobile home ductwork?

The head psi problem went right over my head.

I'm betting it was the low psi switch too.

The gauges tell a lot.

It is a mobile home furnace in a mobile home. Coil cabinet at bottom of furnace

Thanks for all of your replies. Turns out it was the bulb upside down. After I turned it over it has been working fine for five days and counting! Hope this experience helps someone else too.

Well, I thought turning the bulb over fixed it. Now it's 7 days later and the customer called back saying the coil iced up again. This is the first time in 7 days. He said the outdoor temp was 71 and they were trying to pull the house temp down to 69. The coil iced up and condenser unit tripped out. Probably low pressure switch. If it's the txv valve why is it doing this sporadically? If it's the air flow across the coil- why is it doing this sporadically? It is a new r-410a straight cooling system with a mortex evap coil and rheem classic condenser. Could the blower motor be failing? The supply ducting in the crawlspace also has air leaks all over but the old system operated under these same conditions and didn't ice up. New unit is same size as old unit. Any ideas?

When you checked it the first time. What was the suction saturation temp?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

We still don't know what the pressure readings were at any point. Everything points to low airflow so that's why pressure & temp readings would help. A faulty TXV is always suspect nowadays since they're so common too. If the airflow is O.K. & pressures & temps are O.K. then two other possible things could be the blower motor cutting out(circuit board , relay, motor, even loose wire) or the outside contactor is sticking intermittently.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Need to check furnace to see if blower is rated for a/c tonage? Sometimes the furnace blower has to be changed out to a larger assembly for proper air flow. Jumper duct under coach needs to be installed and connected. Check air flow from all s/a registers.

Post size of system, model numbers of equipment both indoor and out. Model number of indoor coil. And as asked is this a downflow system or upflow?

John
    Inventor/Manufacturer:
    KoppLift™ Hand Truck Lifting Bar
    http://www.amazon.com/shops/JohnGKoppLLC
    Video
    http://youtu.be/FsSViwAEz7A

Down flow. I only have temp and pressure readings from when the system was functioning properly. I will get the equipment info and post tomorrow.

I agree i would check your airflow, also inspect the blower wheel, ive seen it where the blower wheel is caked up with junk that it doesn't move enough air across the coil. Inspect the coil too there is a chance its covered in junk too. Are we overlooking the possibility of low airflow and low charge possible? What are the pressures when the system is "working fine"?

I don't remember my pressures but I'm thinking 243 high side and over 100 on low side but I'm not exactly sure it was last Friday that I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by bjonesplumb View Post
    To get back to the beginning, are we all in agreement that this ice up issue could be caused by the txv bulb being mounted upside down?

Over the years, I have seen and have installed TEV bulbs in some difficult locations without regard for location of the capillary tubing.

I can't say that I have ever been able to track a problem, icing or otherwise down to simply bulb positioning or orientation.

Ehh. Maybe floodback to a few broken bulb straps, but that's understandable and logical.

So maybe 103PSIG which is 33°F for R410A. Just barely above freezing. Good chance its a low air flow issue.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast