Staged heat strips on new system??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Staged heat strips on new system??

Question about the 15 kw heat drip that is about to be installed next week in a tam7 trane ah with the hw visionpro iaq. The model number of the heat strip is Bayevbc15bk1aa and if wired correctly can the 15 kw be staged with the iaq or do I need to heat strips?
    Thanks

That would be two not to heat strips. I'm hoping to get some info ASAP because it might push back the install if I need two instead of the 15 kw heat strip. Thanks all

not familiar enough with that specific unit, but most strip heat is a combination of either 5KW or 7.5KW to make the whole KW specified.

this combination COULD be staged depending on equipment and controls.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Include the wiring diagram in your post and pretty much any of the pros on this sight could tell you how to do it.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Your installer should be able to tell you, this is not a diy job.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Quote Originally Posted by ckartson View Post
    Include the wiring diagram in your post and pretty much any of the pros on this sight could tell you how to do it.
    while they COULD, it is not permitted by site rules.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

You do not mention your location or size of new system.

At one time, Trane had two different staged heat strip modules, a 7/12 KW model and a 10/15 KW model.

For info, each KW yields about 3400 BTUs.

IMO

I'm not familiar with your particular model but most 15kw strips are a combination of 3- 5kw strips in one kit. Some are designed so each has its own relay but most are designed to control 10kw on one stage & 5kw on the other so its usually just a matter of wiring & thermostat set up. Best just to ask the installing contractor before hand so there is no misunderstanding.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Tigerdunes I had seen you recommend the 7/12 kw to a previous poster but couldn't find them online anywhere. It's a 3 ton system in Kentucky.
    Is it common to stage a 15 kw heat strip then so it isn't running full blast when the vision pro calls for it? Any drawbacks to setting it up this way?
    I'm confident my installer will be more than capable--I just want to make sure I'm asking the right questions. I appreciate everyone's help!

Unless you're using them with a heat pump for auxiliary and emergency heat I don't see any reason to stage them anyway.
    I don't see where staging has any benefit for electric heat systems except for the power company.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Staging the strips will not save a significant amount of heating. It takes X amount of BTU's to reheat the house after X amount of BTU's have exited the house (heat always goes to cold, as cold is the absence of heat).

If it were me, I would ask the installing guy to set it up with 2 stages of strip heat... one as aux heat to the HP (runs with the HP), the other as emergency heat to run when the HP is no longer adding any heat.

The issue is; there is a temp range where the HP still makes some heat, yet not enough to match the heat loss of the house. A little supplemental heat helps. When the outdoor temp reaches the point the HP no longer helps much... it is time to use elec only.

Your installing co should be able to wire this... the VP IAQ definitely will handle this.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

It is a heat pump so when say the outside temp gets to 30 or so the heat strip could be staged as aux (and not at full capacity--maybe 5 kw?) but then when it gets down to a temp where the heat pump is not effective at all, the full 15 kw can kick in and replace the heat pump altogether and this would be emergency heat?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyhusker80 View Post
    It is a heat pump so when say the outside temp gets to 30 or so the heat strip could be staged as aux (and not at full capacity--maybe 5 kw?) but then when it gets down to a temp where the heat pump is not effective at all, the full 15 kw can kick in and replace the heat pump altogether and this would be emergency heat?
    Yup, I think you and I are saying the same thing in different words.

Be very specific with the HVAC co, and ask them to repeat back to you what you want. When you are sure they undestand... turn them loose. Then have the installer or salesguy show you it works.

You will like that HW Prestige IAQ... it is a NICE stat!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast