Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jobs

All this talk about jobs has no meaning until we talk about the underlying problems. Wealth can only created when people make things. When you take basic material and make something that will be worth more, than what it takes to make it.

Until we start making things again, we will never have enough jobs for those who want to work, for we are competing against countries were job wages are 1/4 or less than what we expect to make.

Not to mention that government and the military industrial complex is eating us alive with taxes we cant afford.

When I was a young man many years ago, I drove a truck for a company, and guy that owned it told me two things I never forgot.

He said Roy..

1) When government takes more than 50% of wages, the country is ripe for revolution, for the people can no longer afford such government.

2) You can manufacture two ways, you can make a quality product that lasts many years, or you can manufacture by quantity and cheap, but when you do so, to reverse it is a hard road, or pretty much impossible, until we run out of energy to make it.

We have technology today to make a havac system last for 40 years or more. We can also make appliances last that long. We can make automobiles today that can last over 50 years, use very little parts, and use no gasoline.

So the question is, why are we not doing it ?????

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

I love when I can agree with Roy because he is a very intelligent dude and this is one such case.

Of course, the answer to his rhetorical question is "money". There is more money to be made for all and thus more jobs if goods have a shorter service life. How would you like to be the guy working on the assembly line for the B-52 bomber or the Browning M2 .50 caliber machine gun? Talk about extended service lives! Sure, there have been a few mods. and upgrades over the years but nothing like a full production run.

We build houses that can't last one year. Our International Code Council needs to tour the Middle East and Rome to see how to build solid environmentally friendly, sustainable homes for almost nothing with almost no carbon footprint that last hundreds and thousands of years. Instead, we have these Green Weenies who want to make all exterior walls glass! No insulative value to speak of! Gee, where do I put the nail to hang grandma's picture? It's insanity.

You're lucky to get 5 yrs out of a vehicle before it just falls apart. I bought a Hyundai hatch back in 1992. Loved it! Great driving car! Held up almost perfectly for 10 years. The 10th yr, still under 100K miles, it literally fell apart into scrap. I mean, everything began failing including axles, brakes, bearings, etc. and this car received all its required maintenance.

A high school buddy of mine owns the local Chevy dealership. He told us the Corvette was the worse car in America because it was engineered to fail. GM knew that people who could afford the car, could afford the maintenance so it was a cash cow for a dealer.

Most shingle mfrs. offer warranties starting at 20 yrs and extend up to 40 yrs in some cases. I work on roofs a lot so I know something about asphalt singles. Even the architectural grade shingles rarely make it past 18 yrs. with 12-15 being more common. So, why aren't there warranty roof replacements? Well, for one, most roofing companies fold up and re-appear under a new alias about every 10 yrs to ditch any warranties outstanding. Shingles typically don't carry identification marks so its hard to determine the mfr. and model. Most especially, since people don't keep records, the warranty info. on the shingles rarely even gets handed over upon completion, let alone passed over at sale of the house. Add to that some mfrs. will honor a warranty only to the original purchaser and you can see how most warranties are a joke. There are a few rare exceptions such as a couple of mfrs. of chimney liners that honor transferrable lifetime warranties but that is a rare concept in this day.

We live in a disposable society: disposable people using disposable goods living in disposable houses. Too bad our politicians are as disposable...

The real fallacy is that making quality stuff equates to making less money, its exactly the opposite. We have, like the boiling frog symptom, gotten so used to our disposable society, we don't even question it any longer.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    The real fallacy is that making quality stuff equates to making less money, its exactly the opposite. We have, like the boiling frog symptom, gotten so used to our disposable society, we don't even question it any longer.

Roy
    The FairTax will change that. It only taxes new goods at the retail level, not used goods. The used goods business will find a new life.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    I remember some of the statements made here a few years ago.It was said that the unemployment percentage was really much higher than stated.This was said because many just quit looking.Well guess what,More people are looking!
    This is further proof that reported unemployment figures are completely inaccurate. Is that what you are trying to say?
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

"The higher the unemployment rate among a given group, the more likely they were to vote for the guy who can't get the economy moving."

http://rare.us/story/the-jobless-rat...ry-95-percent/
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

"Fair Tax"? Now that's an oxymoron!

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    "Fair Tax"? Now that's an oxymoron!
    Value added tax?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12