Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skpkey9 View Post
    Where was he told the incorrect operating temp of the compressor ???
    I was the one who called out the error in compressor as he was stating 1/2 HP compressor and 1/2 ton TEV that compressor is rated 1410 BTU's @ -25*F right in the sweet spot of the operating envelope. How and where you get that's incorrect... Please I'm all ears.

Where was it posted that the TEV is incorrect ??? That was never stated.

Asked and answered.

note: you added "....of the compressor"

Quote Originally Posted by IRBH View Post
    And here he is being told to install the PROPER valve.
    On that we still have no numbers so its unknown if the proper valve is in there or not ( now you are being petty, reaching for straws ) TEV is cheap and of course verify it if its right leave it if not change it , where is the problem...

Sorry I don't subscribe to backwoods refrigeration. I believe in go there diagnose and repair not all these excuses you keep serving up...

But I can't wait for the next round, you know what I'm done helping figure it out you have all the pieces..
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

[QUOTE=skpkey9;16168101]

So you don't have a health department wherever you are...
    Well it's safe to say then I will not be eating at any restaurants up there, can't say I'm a big fan of food poisoning....

If CO is 34.5* - 35* with a 5* differential CI will be 40* - 41* will place food temp @ around 37* ( SAFE ) over 40* will fail with health department....

Thanks for the warning on where not to eat... LOL
    Direct quote from TYLER SERVICE MANUAL... "It should be noted that the 38 to 40f temperatures will not result in any detrimental effects because the radiant heat sources within a closed case are minimized....therefore the product may be maintained at the same, OR SLIGHTLY COLDER (emph. mine) than in an open meat case."

Better head back toward the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by skpkey9 View Post
    On that we still have no numbers so its unknown if the proper valve is in there or not
    Actually KK stated TXV as FF1/2 with a "C" charge.

Confirmed by Federal.

You are probably busier than I, and doing a speed read to get back to earning a living.

Why on earth would you try and repair a Frankenstein project ? If one compressor worked for ALL applications, don't you think that manufactures would use it ? The reason they put CPR's on low temperature compressors is to minimize the load on them. How may times do you think that compressor has been overloaded ? Try a pump down test and see if it can even pull a vacuum. Even if it can, REMOVE IT. Call the manufacture back with the coil dimensions and get the Btu's for it. If the case is worth saving (i.e. does not leak, has good gaskets,) sell them the PROPER condensing unit new or used. Match it and the TXV to the coil for medium temperature. Personally I would switch it to R404a with a receiver. Stop wasting your time and move on to the correct course of action.
    P.S.
    I'm just speaking from experience and mean no disrespect.
    VTP

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Why on earth would you try and repair a Frankenstein project ? If one compressor worked for ALL applications, don't you think that manufactures would use it ? The reason they put CPR's on low temperature compressors is to minimize the load on them. How may times do you think that compressor has been overloaded ? Try a pump down test and see if it can even pull a vacuum. Even if it can, REMOVE IT. Call the manufacture back with the coil dimensions and get the Btu's for it. If the case is worth saving (i.e. does not leak, has good gaskets,) sell them the PROPER condensing unit new or used. Match it and the TXV to the coil for medium temperature. Personally I would switch it to R404a with a receiver. Stop wasting your time and move on to the correct course of action.
    P.S.
    I'm just speaking from experience and mean no disrespect.
    VTP
    None taken, 99

But the fact that the unit is TXV non RX gives me a clue that this may be a non-standard application. Minimizing ref. content solves many system problems, check it out.

If I recall, OP had compressor running at 125f condensing temp with not a mention of cutting off on overload. This was done with hi SH !

The compressor has lasted since the 60's, there's no "CC" in the serial # denoting a rebuild??

Not saying that it is, but if this IS the proper compressor... there'll be a shortage of eggs!

None taken, 99

But the fact that the unit is TXV non RX gives me a clue that this may be a non-standard application. Minimizing ref. content solves many system problems, check it out.

If I recall, OP had compressor running at 125f condensing temp with not a mention of cutting off on overload. This was done with hi SH !

The compressor has lasted since the 60's, there's no "CC" in the serial # denoting a rebuild??

Not saying that it is, but if this IS the proper compressor... there'll be a shortage of eggs!

Many small systems are manufactured with a TXV and no receiver. This makes them critically charged, so no sight glass is needed. The overload would happen when the compressor starts up, where as when its running the suction is lower. The superheat could be high even with the lower suction pressure. That compressor is 40+ years old and probably spent most of it's life in a freezer application. Also I always see the number 800 at the end of the model number if it was a rebuilt semi-hermetic. He could call the manufacturer to find out if it's the right compressor. I have never seen a low temp. compressor installed in a medium temp. application by a manufacturer. A pizza prep table with a medium temp. storage compartment and a cold wall rail might be an exception. Or a compressor with an extended evaporator range. I hope he does a pump down test to confirm it pumps properly.

the ff1/2 c valve is original and correct to case according to federal, it also seems correct to me. i agree the condensing unit is not correct, and will quote a new medium temp 1/2 hp with receiver and new txv. i will probably make it by there today and see if it has been cooling. if it is still, i'm sure they will say, it's working now, no thanks......

for my own sanity- if you put a low temp compressor in a medium temp cooler, it will gain btu capacity right? why would i lose 1/3 capacity with this. compressor btu ratings go up as evap temps go up right.

Quote Originally Posted by kklobas View Post

for my own sanity- if you put a low temp compressor in a medium temp cooler, it will gain btu capacity right? why would i lose 1/3 capacity with this. compressor btu ratings go up as evap temps go up right.
    Horsepower! As a rule of thumb a 1HP compressor is good for 12.000 btu's at high temp.(a/c)
    Same 1HP is good for 8,000 btu's at medium temp.
    As well 1HP is good for 4,000 btu's at low temp.
    So you can see where you lose capacity.
    You are correct that the capacity will go up within any given range.
    Do a pump down test for your sanity. That compressor could still be good. Sell it to someone else in the correct application.

Horsepower! As a rule of thumb a 1HP compressor is good for 12.000 btu's at high temp.(a/c)
    Same 1HP is good for 8,000 btu's at medium temp.
    As well 1HP is good for 4,000 btu's at low temp.
    So you can see where you lose capacity.
    You are correct that the capacity will go up within any given range.
    Do a pump down test for your sanity. That compressor could still be good. Sell it to someone else in the correct application.
    Horsepower?? Don't you mean Displacement??

Horsepower?? Don't you mean Displacement??
    Consider R22 for a medium-temperature application. A popular Copeland Discus, in-line compressor is the 3DS1500. For a low-temperature R22 application, the compressor need only be a 3DS1000. This equates to a one-third drop in horsepower potential.
    Why so if the refrigerant is unchanged ?

Consider R22 for a medium-temperature application. A popular Copeland Discus, in-line compressor is the 3DS1500. For a low-temperature R22 application, the compressor need only be a 3DS1000. This equates to a one-third drop in horsepower potential. ?
    3DS3-1000 LO TEMP R22 = 2120cfh
    3DB3-1000 EXT MED = 1620cfh
    equals a 24% loss in pumping capacity between same hp units.

Your logic of 10hp vs 15hp escaped me.
    If the OP simply amped the unit thru an operating cycle, this thread could RIP.

3DS3-1000 LO TEMP R22 = 2120cfh
    3DB3-1000 EXT MED = 1620cfh
    equals a 24% loss in pumping capacity between same hp units.

Your logic of 10hp vs 15hp escaped me.
    If the OP simply amped the unit thru an operating cycle, this thread could RIP.
    Give it up ! You seem to have a hard time answering questions.
    Let me try again.
    A low-temperature, central rack system was short on capacity. Two people decided to replace a 10HP compressor with a 15HP model. They had monitored the original amp draw. When the compressor change out was accomplished, the rack was still short and the amp draw was unchanged.
    Why ?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast