Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kklobas View Post
    ya- it's amazing. im only 34 yrs. old! I normally stay away from stuff this bad/old, and my gut told me to. but they really wanted it fixed so stupid me says- i'll add a defrost clock, pressure switch, and 416a. this should keep you from freezing up.

they want 3 months more out of this. hopefully the clock/switch will help it last. With high superheat and lonnnng pull downs the clock may get them by. I think i should quote a new condensing unit if they want to keep it.

drier measured 104 on inlet and outlet- do you still suggest changing it?
    At 15/135 pulling down no, something is wrong. Ignore "don't touch that txv until near design temp", find out if it's defective! Warm the bulb with a hot rag- then watch your gauges, never mind case temp. It's not a zp charge, so if LP doesn't go up pdq, Change it. And don't expect to always find temp drop on a restricted drier.
    The clock? It will just warm the case more- 1/4 hr, twice a day!

The guy that stripped off the pressure control with its' inherent defrost started the problem. The solid freezeup probably had slugs cleaning out the 44yr old residue in the compressor. Change the drier.

Final answer... The SIZE of your txv is ok, do not alter size or type.

ya- the federal manual shows the ff1/2c coming with the case new. that is still what is in there now.

ya- the federal manual shows the ff1/2c coming with the case new. that is still what is in there now.
    KK, since you're still hanging in there, this is what I've done after starting out on the wrong track (if drier & txv fixes it)... set up case with pressure control only as recommended by the design engineers, remove all other controls and chge only for time used in the correct repair. Chalk it up to advancing your education.

Ya. Can't bill for all the time on this one. Do u think there is a chance of decent performance with this compressor?
    Thanks for the suggestions

Ya. Can't bill for all the time on this one. Do u think there is a chance of decent performance with this compressor?
    NO You will be out of operating envelope of that compressor...
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

414b and r22 aren't even close on the psi/temp chart..
    Let's give nukes a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by primmers View Post
    414b and r22 aren't even close on the psi/temp chart..
    Where did that come from ??? I think your in the wrong thread... lol
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    414b is my least favorite flavor of juice to use when maintaining temp with a pressure switch. I believe the glide is 17* which obviously will and can cause a tech to pull hairs from his head.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2
    Glide is 13*

It's no secret that I dislike it as well

Quote Originally Posted by skpkey9 View Post
    NO You will be out of operating envelope of that compressor...
    Suggested reading: Copeland Application Engineering Bulletin AE-1233-R2

"When an O.E.M. desires to apply a compressor outside its standard operating range...etc etc"

I seem to remember everything that I see... aah, Miss September 1967!

. Do u think there is a chance of decent performance with this compressor?
    By all means. How many years has it worked fine? Do your compressor quick tests before anything- shutoff & ck suction line temp, head temps, disch line temp, AMPS, noise, pulldown pressure etc.
    Your first post data of 24/190, later 15/135 doesn't sound too bad.
    Good luck, KK fix'er up.
    Just got a call from rancher friend- timber wolves after his cattle, IRBH !

Quote Originally Posted by IRBH View Post
    Suggested reading: Copeland Application Engineering Bulletin AE-1233-R2

"When an O.E.M. desires to apply a compressor outside its standard operating range...etc etc"

I seem to remember everything that I see... aah, Miss September 1967!
    Ya Ya Ya I don't even need to look at it cause I have a feeling the direction you are going is to the effect of when they use high temp compressors for ultra low or dual rated compressors, but I bet just about anything that this is not the OPs case, and if he keeps on this heading it will cost him more time and the customer.... When its easier to say the previous company most likely had this compressor laying around and said " This will work " And now here we are... The OP is clearly in way over his head and his easiest way out is to just put the proper compressor in and move on to the next call...

Quote Originally Posted by IRBH View Post
    By all means. How many years has it worked fine? Do your compressor quick tests before anything- shutoff & ck suction line temp, head temps, disch line temp, AMPS, noise, pulldown pressure etc.
    Your first post data of 24/190, later 15/135 doesn't sound too bad.
    Good luck, KK fix'er up.
    Just got a call from rancher friend- timber wolves after his cattle, IRBH !
    Except it doesn't have the capacity to pull it down and one issue and then they lost all product in that box over night..... Good Luck is all I can say... The OP will need it

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast