+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: would love some help with freezing evap

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kklobas View Post
    did not see a cpr valve. It sounds like some dumb a@# replaced with whatever was around who knows how long ago. where are you looking up the temp range- i dont see that in the nomenclature. also the first 2 digits of serial number being 69- does this mean 1969?
    holy crap. a 30% loss of capacity would explain extremly long pull down times.

is there some literature link to verify compressor type for sure before i talk to owners. i would like to show them that. (this won't be a fun conversation).
    KK, it is as stated and 1969.
    But date alone does not condemn (or I'm toast!).
    Pulled out copy of your case era Taylor deli cooler... if its a closed case, they ran 8ft on a 1/3hp unit!!!

edit: CLOSED deli case advise against trying to run below 35f case. They say that the greater temp swings "pump" moisture out of the product. Their ideal temp states 38-40f.

Your empty case slow pulldown is NG, though.
    Last edited by IRBH; 07-07-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: deli data

Post Likes
    ya- federal manual from 84 states 38-40 degrees also, controlled by a pressure control. with your calculation of a 1/3 capacity loss i'm now at a 1/3 hp compressor for this case. It is fully closed also

Post Likes
    KK... I won't rush into the store saying that it can't work. The KAM cfh 169 Is right in line with med temp hermetics (RSN4-005 =164cfh). Over the years, I've seen many seemingly incongruous factory-released systems that work fine.
    Keep in mind that if you swap in a lower compression med. temp, it will produce LESS cooling (if kam was ok). Need amp reading! Take a drier with you (what! after only 44 years?)

Post Likes

Lightbulb

did not see a cpr valve. It sounds like some dumb a@# replaced with whatever was around who knows how long ago. where are you looking up the temp range- i dont see that in the nomenclature. also the first 2 digits of serial number being 69- does this mean 1969?
    holy crap. a 30% loss of capacity would explain extremly long pull down times.

is there some literature link to verify compressor type for sure before i talk to owners. i would like to show them that. (this won't be a fun conversation).
    Here is the info on your compressor...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

Post Likes
    ya- it's amazing. im only 34 yrs. old! I normally stay away from stuff this bad/old, and my gut told me to. but they really wanted it fixed so stupid me says- i'll add a defrost clock, pressure switch, and 416a. this should keep you from freezing up.

they want 3 months more out of this. hopefully the clock/switch will help it last. With high superheat and lonnnng pull downs the clock may get them by. I think i should quote a new condensing unit if they want to keep it.

drier measured 104 on inlet and outlet- do you still suggest changing it?

Post Likes
    ya- it's amazing. im only 34 yrs. old! I normally stay away from stuff this bad/old, and my gut told me to. but they really wanted it fixed so stupid me says- i'll add a defrost clock, pressure switch, and 416a. this should keep you from freezing up.

they want 3 months more out of this. hopefully the clock/switch will help it last. With high superheat and lonnnng pull downs the clock may get them by. I think i should quote a new condensing unit if they want to keep it.

Yes, Change it... if they want to keep it... Also If you Go to change it Install proper TEV while you are at it or you will still be on the losing end of this battle...

Hope this helps
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

Post Likes

At 15/135 pulling down no, something is wrong. Ignore "don't touch that txv until near design temp", find out if it's defective! Warm the bulb with a hot rag- then watch your gauges, never mind case temp. It's not a zp charge, so if LP doesn't go up pdq, Change it. And don't expect to always find temp drop on a restricted drier.
    The clock? It will just warm the case more- 1/4 hr, twice a day!

The guy that stripped off the pressure control with its' inherent defrost started the problem. The solid freezeup probably had slugs cleaning out the 44yr old residue in the compressor. Change the drier.

Post Likes
    Final answer... The SIZE of your txv is ok, do not alter size or type.

Post Likes
    ya- the federal manual shows the ff1/2c coming with the case new. that is still what is in there now.

Post Likes
    ya- the federal manual shows the ff1/2c coming with the case new. that is still what is in there now.
    KK, since you're still hanging in there, this is what I've done after starting out on the wrong track (if drier & txv fixes it)... set up case with pressure control only as recommended by the design engineers, remove all other controls and chge only for time used in the correct repair. Chalk it up to advancing your education.

Post Likes
    Ya. Can't bill for all the time on this one. Do u think there is a chance of decent performance with this compressor?
    Thanks for the suggestions

Post Likes
    Ya. Can't bill for all the time on this one. Do u think there is a chance of decent performance with this compressor?
    NO You will be out of operating envelope of that compressor...

Post Likes
    414b and r22 aren't even close on the psi/temp chart..
    Let's give nukes a chance.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by primmers View Post
    414b and r22 aren't even close on the psi/temp chart..
    Where did that come from ??? I think your in the wrong thread... lol

Post Likes

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    414b is my least favorite flavor of juice to use when maintaining temp with a pressure switch. I believe the glide is 17* which obviously will and can cause a tech to pull hairs from his head.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2
    Glide is 13*

It's no secret that I dislike it as well

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skpkey9 View Post
    NO You will be out of operating envelope of that compressor...
    Suggested reading: Copeland Application Engineering Bulletin AE-1233-R2

"When an O.E.M. desires to apply a compressor outside its standard operating range...etc etc"

I seem to remember everything that I see... aah, Miss September 1967!

Post Likes
    . Do u think there is a chance of decent performance with this compressor?
    By all means. How many years has it worked fine? Do your compressor quick tests before anything- shutoff & ck suction line temp, head temps, disch line temp, AMPS, noise, pulldown pressure etc.
    Your first post data of 24/190, later 15/135 doesn't sound too bad.
    Good luck, KK fix'er up.
    Just got a call from rancher friend- timber wolves after his cattle, IRBH !

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by IRBH View Post
    Suggested reading: Copeland Application Engineering Bulletin AE-1233-R2

"When an O.E.M. desires to apply a compressor outside its standard operating range...etc etc"

I seem to remember everything that I see... aah, Miss September 1967!
    Ya Ya Ya I don't even need to look at it cause I have a feeling the direction you are going is to the effect of when they use high temp compressors for ultra low or dual rated compressors, but I bet just about anything that this is not the OPs case, and if he keeps on this heading it will cost him more time and the customer.... When its easier to say the previous company most likely had this compressor laying around and said " This will work " And now here we are... The OP is clearly in way over his head and his easiest way out is to just put the proper compressor in and move on to the next call...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by IRBH View Post
    By all means. How many years has it worked fine? Do your compressor quick tests before anything- shutoff & ck suction line temp, head temps, disch line temp, AMPS, noise, pulldown pressure etc.
    Your first post data of 24/190, later 15/135 doesn't sound too bad.
    Good luck, KK fix'er up.
    Just got a call from rancher friend- timber wolves after his cattle, IRBH !
    Except it doesn't have the capacity to pull it down and one issue and then they lost all product in that box over night..... Good Luck is all I can say... The OP will need it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skpkey9 View Post
    Where did that come from ??? I think your in the wrong thread... lol
    from page one....

Darn oddball refrigerants! Does that 414b follow R12 p/t ? or give corresponding temps to me, also temp at condensing unit.
    Let's give nukes a chance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in