+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Honeywell EAC - Cleaned monthly?

Post Likes

Honeywell EAC - Cleaned monthly?

My HVAC service said that they need to be cleaned religiously if they are to work correctly. I've seen lots of questions about ozone production, the filter not being sized correctly, etc. We are about to replace the AC (leaking, old, sort of broken) with a Bryant heatpump to match a newly installed bryant furnace (the evolution one, i forget the number)

Would it make sense to replace the Honeywell EAC we have with the new Bryant one? Their literature says the filter needs to be changed every 6 months as opposed to washing the cells in our current honeywell every month! Obviously we want to take good care of our brand new furnace and heatpump system. Should I just blow more money on the brant evolution cleaner, or can I keep on trucking with my current system, assuming I remember to do the monthly changes?

Post Likes
    Whether it's a Honeywell or Bryant, any EAC should be cleaned often.

Post Likes
    I think you are referring to the new Bryant Air Cleaner with media filter. This is the same as the Carrier Infinity.

We have tested this product and found that it produces some ozone. (about 10 to 20 ppb). It is very efficient - the MERV 15 seems about right. The initial pressure drop was 0.26 wg. If you decide to go this route make sure your HVAC company tests your static pressure to make sure the system can handle it. I have some doubts with a heat pump.

You might also consider installing a 4" filter box so you can use a media filter. These come in various efficiencies and resistances. 4" filters are standard commercial filters and are relatively easy to find, inexpensive and long lasting.

Post Likes

breathe easy

Hey breathe easy,

Thanks for the ozone info as I would stay away from that.

Have you tested Trane's Perfect Fit 5" media filters?

My CleanEffects was deinstalled and cabinet fits the above filters.

How do tech's test static pressure levels?

Post Likes
    I have not tested the Trane Perfect Fit 5" filters. I am sure they perform well as do other deep media filters like Honeywell and Aprilaire. The reason I recommend the commercial 4" filters for homeowners is the difference in price. One should be able to purchase 4" filters for much less than the proprietary varieties.

There are a number of ways to measure static pressure. But I will leave that to the HVAC pros to explain.

Post Likes
    Pros have not spoken b/4 that I have seen and I've asked.

Any DIY pressure methods for homeowners such as I. Tried using some wind speed gadgets that I sometimes use while hiking high peaks....

I noticed hit with CleanEffects with airflow... What sort of hit do think exists with Trane's 5" inch media?

Saw your not a fan of dual filters either... Do even the real cheap ones cause problems when combined with the above? Also combined with a 2006 Trane variable speed airhandler?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_hikes View Post
    Pros have not spoken b/4 that I have seen and I've asked.

Any DIY pressure methods for homeowners such as I. Tried using some wind speed gadgets that I sometimes use while hiking high peaks....

I noticed hit with CleanEffects with airflow... What sort of hit do think exists with Trane's 5" inch media?

Saw your not a fan of dual filters either... Do even the real cheap ones cause problems when combined with the above? Also combined with a 2006 Trane variable speed airhandler?
    There should not be any difference in static pressure between a 4" or 5" filter if they are rated the same in efficiency. A 5" filter will have a little more holding capacity and should last a little longer than a 4".

Post Likes
    Actually, pressure drop or resistance of a filter is not directly correlated with efficiency. Different medias have different resistances depending on how they are made.

In addition the biggest difference in resistance comes from the total surface area of the media in a filter. The more and the deeper the pleats, the greater the surface area and thus the greater the distribution of the air pressure. That being said, I agree with Big J in so far as I don't think there is going to be a substantial difference between a 4" and a 5" filter. Certainly either would have less resistance than the CleanEffects.

Most of the work we do is commercial. Two filters are standard operating procedure when it comes to high efficiency filters. You should have "pre-filters" and final filters. The purpose of the pre-filters is to preserve the life of the more expensive final filters. My concern with dual filters for residences is the increased pressure drop. Make sure your system can handle this increased load.

I have seen a number of good threads in the "residential" section on measuring static pressure. If you cannot find them, you might post the question there.

Post Likes

static pressure

breathe easy - thanks for pointing out where to look further...

I contacted a local company listed as being as member/certified and the tech mentioned I loose .20 - .30 with the 5 inch Trane media as he's done several tests.

We also mention the CleanEffects had a much bigger hit.

He ran some quick numbers and mentioned you need to oversize airhandlers to handle the restrictions of CleanEffects & even the Trane 5 inch media--for optimum performance here in the desert S/W.

Does seem worth the bucks for the full test to fix what?
    Last edited by sam_hikes; 04-04-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Post Likes

Filters

Personaly I install and LIKE the #5000 April Aire EAC units.
    Under normal conditions I suggest replacing the media section every 6 months
    but remove and clean the PRE-filter & wires every 3 months or so........
    Works GOOD in my house and so far we have never had any problems with
    heat pumps providing correct duct sizing and ect. (common filter sense)!

Post Likes
    I had static pressures checked which could be suspect but total readings were .60 & .65 on my 2 VS's with both 5" media + cheap fiberglass on my 20x30 inside grills. ( I watched them take the readings )

Was told by others on here that VS usually handles static just fine for most--as I got no difference in readings with filters installed or not (same static pressures)?
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_hikes View Post
    breathe easy - thanks for pointing out where to look further...

I contacted a local company listed as being as member/certified and the tech mentioned I loose .20 - .30 with the 5 inch Trane media as he's done several tests.

We also mention the CleanEffects had a much bigger hit.

He ran some quick numbers and mentioned you need to oversize airhandlers to handle the restrictions of CleanEffects & even the Trane 5 inch media--for optimum performance here in the desert S/W.

Does seem worth the bucks for the full test to fix what?

Post Likes
    Electronic air cleaners are junk. I am a service tech and every furnace I go into that has one is filthly. It doesn't matter how much you clean them. Yu need to get a media filter, merv 10 or merv 16 if your system can handle it or a lennox pureair air purification system that has one if these filters, doesn't create ozone like an eac and has uva light bulbs that activate a catalyst which kills odors and chemicals in the air.

Post Likes
    As an HO I view the Lennox version as an EAC much the same as the other EAC's. I do agree with you though on the high quality media filter.

Lots of money with a very short track record like the CleanEffects.

Anyone tested it in the field or OEM lab for ozone?

Quote Originally Posted by furnacedoc View Post
    Electronic air cleaners are junk. I am a service tech and every furnace I go into that has one is filthly. It doesn't matter how much you clean them. Yu need to get a media filter, merv 10 or merv 16 if your system can handle it or a lennox pureair air purification system that has one if these filters, doesn't create ozone like an eac and has uva light bulbs that activate a catalyst which kills odors and chemicals in the air.

Post Likes
    It has been warming up here in Michigan, so the heats been off and my old Honeywell F50A isn't on. Took a particle reading of 300,000/CF. Ran the fan in manual for thirty minutes and the particle count dropped to 100,000/CF. I just love to read how EAC's don't work! I've had readings at below 5,000/CF too.
    Bill

Post Likes
    EAC have a prefilter that gets larger particles and cells that get small ones. If a duct system and especially return air and shoe (bottom bend) are sized and work correctly an EAC is very effective. EAC is alot better at picking up the minute particles that are bad for your lungs than any other media filter. I would rather have a furnace or coil cleaned of large particles than have lung damage.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in