Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lennox 13hpd-048

We had 3 people out with 3 different answers. We have a 2700 sq. ft. home with the Lennox 13hpd-048 4 ton system. One day the it just starting blower warm air. One place came out and said it was the coil, txv valve and something else. He did a leak test but didn't find anything. Actually let some Freon out to test his unit out. The next person said it was just the coil. The next person said it was just the txv valve. Well we went with someone that was recommended but he was busy so he sent his son. Seemed to know what he was doing but very unprofessional. He replaced the valve and charged me for 12 pounds of freon. A couple of days later it stopped coiling again and said we didn't want his son coming out. The guy came out and re position the bulb on the outside of the upper unit and wrapped it. The house has been cooling great but the outside unit started making noise sometimes when starting. Im just trying to give as much info as I can. The pressure on the system has always been a little low. I was told because it how the pipe was run. It was something like 60-65 on the low side and over 200 on the high side. I was told it was supposed to be somewhere about 70. This was based on some of terms I read such as outside air, super cooling etc.. After 3 different answers not sure who to trust. I was told it was high pressure, filter dryer needed to be replaced or a couple of other things. Just looking to be more informed when I call the next company in.

Quote Originally Posted by blueis300 View Post
    He replaced the valve and charged me for 12 pounds of freon. I was told it was high pressure, filter dryer needed to be replaced or a couple of other things. Just looking to be more informed when I call the next company in.
    He should have replaced the drier when he replaced the valve.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    He should have replaced the drier when he replaced the valve.
    Could this have screwed up the valve? What is the proper placement of the bulb of the txv valve? It was originally placed inside the unit in a horizontal position.

Also this is a 2 story house. Ac filter 16*25 downstairs , 20*30 upstairs. Digital thermostat. Usually it is 3 degrees hotter upstairs. The unit is just turning 6 years old.

There is a drier inside the outdoor unit that should have been removed and then we usually choose to install the new one outside the condensor.

But its very important they remove the origional 1

Also just curious as some of the reasons you felt the son was unprofessional?

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    There is a drier inside the outdoor unit that should have been removed and then we usually choose to install the new one outside the condensor.

But its very important they remove the origional 1

Also just curious as some of the reasons you felt the son was unprofessional?
    Yes he arrived with his girlfriend, left his cigarette butts on my patio. He was in such a hurry to get paid because he had bills to pay I wrote a check and had to follow him to the place to get it done. He never came back that night and left his freon and equipment and I had to call and figure out when he was coming to get it. When I had the next problem he arrived at 8pm several hours after he said he was going to be there and went through my back gate and knocked on the door. My dogs could have been out. He should have went to the front door. That's why I called the father and told him what happened and didn't want his son back. Now that the father somewhat fixed the problem I cant get ahold of him to fix the rest. I got his number from somebody in the neighborhood that said he did a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    There is a drier inside the outdoor unit that should have been removed and then we usually choose to install the new one outside the condenser.But its very important they remove the original 1.
    Also, the drier "could" have been what caused the issues with the valve to begin with, if the drier was coming apart and spreading stuff all throughout the system.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Im going to try and find somebody next week. The txv valve is a fixed orifice. Ive been reading through about 8 pages so far and have numerous questions. Such as adding insulation around the ducting in the attic. The next question is it doesn't always make noise and seem its hard to start. Father in law said he noticed it on the neighbors when it kicks on. Normally in the afternoon when its hot. They are ones that just told the neighbors to just replace the whole outside unit for $3000

Yes he arrived with his girlfriend, left his cigarette butts on my patio. He was in such a hurry to get paid because he had bills to pay I wrote a check and had to follow him to the place to get it done. He never came back that night and left his freon and equipment and I had to call and figure out when he was coming to get it.
    Was this him?

Yes wow pretty unprofessional. How old was he would you guess? Girlfriend helping him or sitting around?

As far as txv being fixed orifice not sure what you mean because the two are completely different.

Sorry to hear about the experience you had. Definately not what it should have been.

Well she just carried his tools or got something from the truck. He was about late 20's.Sorry the txv valve that was in the attic was not adjustable. They were looking at that when it was installed. Basically he used a wrench, unscrewed both ends and replaced it. That was my one question about the orientation. It was originally inside the unit with a copper bracket horizontal. The father came back and put it in a vertical position outside the unit. The original txv part number was replaced. LB85759G and 56J20 were the valve numbers.

It was originally inside the unit with a copper bracket horizontal...
    Are you talking about the whole valve was inside, or just the bulb?

The father came back and put it in a vertical position outside the unit.
    I have seen valves come in factory coils, were the bulb is mounted horz. and vertical I really don't think that matters, but the jury still might be out on this.

Yes both were inside. The coil was just wrapped around and sitting there with the bulb attached to a bracket and horizontal. Why the father put it on the outside of the unit makes me wonder. Could the newer part number make a difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast