Gotta love the AC biz

so, some guy (younger) asks me if i have time to stop by and look at AC, i said "ya"

i found the 24v wires to the condensor were broken and corroded.
    i cut off the bad parts and there was enough wire to reconnet.
    he saw what i did, he was talking to me the whole time.
    so then i just checked a few other things, and the whole thing fired up.

he says "what do i owe you?"

i say "50 bucks"

he says "wow! that's too cheap"

i say "fine. 100 bucks"

...and he wrote me a check for $100

Did the check cash? He appreciated what you know. I like the people that say, " 50 BUCKS, all you did was put a wire together!"
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

lucky u!some customer will said ,wow,50 bucks just for hookup wire?u know that make me want to unhook the wire and let them get hot and not charge them a penny!

I know for a fact on some other home improvement forum, you would be called a ripoff even at 50 bucks.

Some folks just think an easy job means you didn't have to make the trip, buy gas, have a truck, tools, office, clothes, shoes, insurance.....blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by walterc View Post
    I know for a fact on some other home improvement forum, you would be called a ripoff even at 50 bucks.

Some folks just think an easy job means you didn't have to make the trip, buy gas, have a truck, tools, office, clothes, shoes, insurance.....blah blah blah.
    Don't forget coffee Walter! Lol

Our local Iteam news channel when they have nothing else to do rig up an AC or furnace then call a bunch of companies out. Some companies will tell them the equipment is shot and quote new. Most guys will find the problem, repair it and look the rest of the unit over.Then tell them they should replace a contactor or whatever, we don't see the component, but in the techs opinion another part may be negligible and the Iteam makes a big deal out of it that company B was trying to sell parts. Company C, I don't know if they were tipped off but says, "Oh it was just a loose wire, no charge". I always want to call knuckhead company C and ask them to check my AC and if nothing is wrong, "No Charge right just as seen on TV" and see what they say.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Company C, a big advertiser. Although there are times when I don't charge. Usually a long time customer. Then there are the times when I have charged $85 for pluging a unit back in. Lots of drive time from where I am.

lucky u! some customer will said ,wow,50 bucks just for hookup wire?
    there's only one advantage to being in Los Angeles, everyone here knows they have to pay a lot for everything.

companies are trying to push their service minimum up to $100

$325.00
    Economy - Quality - Speed <---- pick two