Accurate clamp meter?

I have a Fluke 337 in my tool bag and think it is a fine clamp meter. Is there a better clamp meter for testing small amp loads - such as fan motors and such. Seems like I notice a variance in readings based on how I have the clamp positioned over the wire.

This meter is listed as 2% +/- 5 Counts. It displays to the tenth position.

Just curious as to what is out there.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mjohnson2981 View Post
    I have a Fluke 337 in my tool bag and think it is a fine clamp meter. Is there a better clamp meter for testing small amp loads - such as fan motors and such. Seems like I notice a variance in readings based on how I have the clamp positioned over the wire.

This meter is listed as 2% +/- 5 Counts. It displays to the tenth position.

Just curious as to what is out there.

Thanks!
    Fluke has four or five clamp meters with low amp ranges and resolution to 0.01 amps. I don't necessarily recommend any of those because they're all lacking in other functions. I have the Fluke 322 and I've tested it's accuracy against my Fluke 289. It's almost dead on, but will fluctuate somewhat depending upon clamp postion. Not enough to be concerned about. I also have the Fieldpiece SC56 which has a low amp range, and just about every other function that I need. IMO it's a great meter. I prefer it over any Fluke that I've owned. Ocassionally I wish it had a min/max function but I just grab another meter on those rare occasions.

if you are really concerned about an accurate reading you can wire in a 10 loop wire to multiply the amperage your meter pics up and divide the outcome by 10 to get your actual reading, thats free but If you want to spend over $500 on a precision meter that will require lots of calibrating I dont even have a suggestion for you, I have a Fluke 902 HVACR Meter and it does everything I need.

What RACMT said about looping wire because it does make a difference.

When I am reading very low amps, I use a Simpson 260 with a clamp adapter and loop the wire in the clamp. I can read down to 50 mA that way. Some may laugh but that Simpson has helped me many, many times, especially with low amp readings and reading voltage changes that are too fast for a digital to keep up with. They are not that expensive and there are tons of used ones for sale.