Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cracked Heat Exchanger??

Have an old Bryant w/ standing pilot. Noticed this weekend that there was an odor coming from the heat ducts that had not been there before. Shut down the pilot and turned off the gas valve, and odor went away. I suspect a cracked heat exchanger.....

Time to replace that old bryant standing pilot, you may, not only save your family lives but also so money in the process!
    IcyFlame

how old is it? and your should get contractor out to take a look @ it. i've shut down a few bryant/carriers for bad heat exchanger

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McD View Post
    how old is it? and your should get contractor out to take a look @ it. i've shut down a few bryant/carriers for bad heat exchanger
    Probably a 1977 or so model. It is definitely old, but has worked well, and up until now has caused no problems. If the odor we are smelling is because of a bad heat exchanger, we won't run it again, it will be replaced.

usually the mid 80's to 90's that i have seen with a bad H.E. ( not to say that the 70d's weren't bad )
    sometimes the roll outswitch won't trip or high limit won't trip when the heat exchanger is gone.

heat exch

I'ts funny, I never hear you guys talk about, or anyone write in about older rheem package units. We had a house in Southern Cal with an early 80's rheem that cracked a heat exch and also friends that had the same unit with the same problem. Otherwise it was a great unit, no other problems.

1977 Carrier?

Time for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    I'ts funny, I never hear you guys talk about, or anyone write in about older rheem package units. We had a house in Southern Cal with an early 80's rheem that cracked a heat exch and also friends that had the same unit with the same problem. Otherwise it was a great unit, no other problems.

Other than the fact our funace was poisoning us, IT WAS GREAT!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Rheem wasn't big in canada until 10-15 years ago ( from what i've seen )
    i know in the "better" rheems there is a stainless steel heat exchanger i'm after forgetting now if the lower end models do ( someone can help me out ) i'm trying to get geared for com/industrial boilers now :P

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    1977 Carrier?

Time for a new one.

i think 77 was before carrier bought bryant.

bryant was a good heater till that happened.

i don't remember too much of the older dinosaurs i mean old furnaces.... i've only see a hand full of the old ones... like 50's and stuff... i'm only 28 :P

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McD View Post
    i don't remember too much of the older dinosaurs i mean old furnaces.... i've only see a hand full of the old ones... like 50's and stuff... i'm only 28 :P
    Wait just five minutes and you'll be the old timer at the supply counter sipping coffee and deciminating the arcana of our industry to the younglings.

haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast