Trouble shooting a pizza lowboy

hi. I have some general knowledge of HVAC nothing more. I am trying to figure out why my fridge isnt cooling past 48. the condenser has been cleaned. the evaporator is also clean. the compressor seems to be working fine and i can see through the site glass it has enough freon. suction tube is cold and the high pressure line is hot. maybe a little too hot. i dont have an expansion valve it does has a capillary tube with a drier. i was reading elsewhere if the expansion valve is frozen or clogged this could be a reason for insufficient freon flow and a very hot high pressure line but i dont have one since the capillary is doing its job (or so i understand) i inspected the capillary and cannot see any visual kinks. the thermostat is clicking on and off around 50 and the compressor is constantly running except when it goes into defrost every 6 hour for 25 mins. I would appreciate any trouble shooting ideas you may have. if its something i can do myself such as a thermostat i can handle it. since the compressor is constantly running i dont think thats the issue. If it requires touching the freon end of it I plan to call a pro. I am not going to attempt that. Just want to be sure its not an easy fix for me before i do. Thanks for the help. it is a Tecumseh aka446oyxaxb r-134a

michael

Cap tube and SG!
    T-stat clicking and compressor running all the time!
    “I have some general knowledge of HVAC nothing more”
    Call someone with more knowledge before you kill that machine!!!

i didnt post on this board to be yelled at. If you cannot offer any advice aside from mockery then please don't bother responding. I am not trying to bypass a pro. I am trying to fix it myself if its within my scope of knowledge. if that cannot be done then i will call someone. if anyone can offer real troubleshooting advice that would be great. thank you

I believe in the rules pros on this site can't go into a lot of details on non pro forums... I can't help I gotta stick gauges and my electrical meter to see the amp draw and refrigerant levels.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

thank you. if someone cannot answer to rules i completely understand.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-09-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Thermostat clicking on and off at 50? But compressor stays on? Kinda misleading. Are you saying box temperature is 50? Are you twirling thermostat knob?

Really hard to get a pizza tender/maker's condense coil clean. Probably needs cleaned better. If not, then you'll need a tech to check what the super heat and sub cooling says is the problem.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

How's the temp in the kitchen? If it gets over 85 or so in there those units will start to lose temp fast - keep the lids closed whenever possible.

You don't often see a sight glass on a cap tube metered system as they can be misleading and cause people to overcharge the system. If everything is clean, the kitchen is cool, and all of the fans are running then it's time to call in reinforcements.

Quote Originally Posted by jrath66 View Post
    I believe in the rules pros on this site can't go into a lot of details on non pro forums... I can't help I gotta stick gauges and my electrical meter to see the amp draw and refrigerant levels.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    This is the Ask Our Pro's or AOP forum. In order to post responses here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. Please see my signature line for links to register and review the AOP Forum Rules. Thank you. Your post will now be deleted. Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Check that the doors are closing correctly and that the door gaskets are in good shape, along with what the others have suggested. Asides from that, was the condenser clean when it started acting up? An all too common problem with these things is that nobody cleans the condenser coil and then the compressor oil overheats and turns to sludge and plugs up the cap tube. When that happens you are looking at a repair price of about half of what a new unit costs, with the chance that it will forever nickel and dime you with problems until you finally decide to push it out to the dumpster.

If the thing truly does have a sight glass and a cap tube, then other people have already had their mitts inside of the sealed refrigeration system and you would probably be best off to just save your money on the service call, and order a NEW unit right now. First, check to see that the doors are closing correctly, though.