Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I love my job, I hate my job...

I love that I finally found an employer that pays me well, appreciates my experience and skills, and provides good benefits for myself and my family. To others out there, don't be afraid to look around - you may find something great.

I hate that I had to work for people that would deny a raise, and then a few minutes later start talking about their 10 day hunting trip, new RV, new boat, new hunting dog, Trip to Las Vegas, and then find out that the service manager had to pay for a flat tire out of his own pocket because the owner said there was no $$ in the account to pay for it.

I love that in this trade we get to pretty much work on our own, outside of an office, with no one looking over our shoulder, and get to use our minds to troubleshoot mechanical equipment,bring it back to life and make it sing again.

I hate the fact that some employers feel the need to spy on their employees with gps and hounding them on the phone all day about their whereabouts. This strains the employee - employer relationship and drives the good techs off the job in search of another place to work.

I love the fact that I can work my a** off all Summer, from sun up to sun down, all the while knowing that I have 'banked' away time for when things slow down, I will have enough time saved up to get my 40 per week the whole year through.

I hate the fact that what my trade school teacher told me is true - 'There are a lot of people in this trade who don't know what they are doing and making a lot of money doing it' I hate being the one to tell a customer ' Whoever put this system in, took the money and ran and didn't care if it worked right or not'

I love it when we can solve a complicated problem and make it work again when every other company said "you need a new system or a new control system"

and I really hate it when you have spent the last four hours racking your brain re-wiring and correcting what the last three companies have done, and then the damn sheet metal cover does not want to fit back on the unit at the end of the day!!! (all the while remembering that golden rule told to me by the old timer: "Be careful because the sheet metal always wins")

P.S. I also really hate the technicians who feel the need to use an impact driver on 5/16" sheet metal screws for the access covers and tighten them like it is a wheel at a NASCAR race....

Had to vent today.........

Lol@ nascar joke. We had a helper like that. I would grab the impact from him if he was on my jobs!

Love your complete post. I just lost a good job. At some point it could have been a great job as most of the nice things were there except everyone is a yes man to the chain of command, no room for any questions or field decision makers whether they are right or wrong. The chain of command went in several directions nationally and neither side ever agreed with the other. So I basically became collateral damage. Time to get back on the horse and try again. Glad you found yours
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

I need to find a good company to work for too

xxcels- Good luck to you in your search-GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

same here on the screws, tighten by hand only.

You only THINK you have a light touch torqing those screws home
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

had a guy using a cordless drill with 3/8 chuck to take the Large tonnage Trane panels off with the fan running...yup...the insulation ripped of as he went back on...and burnt his hands from them laying on the roof on a sun drenched roof top inspection...better yet changes oil on a semi and doesn't kill the power for the CCH and the compressor goes suicidal weeks later....
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

what kind of companies do you guys work for?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how I hate that some manufacturers feel the need to install special filter-driers where the inlet pipe size is different from the outlet pipe size - What is the purpose of that other than to test our piping and brazing skills on the fly....

Quote Originally Posted by tuba View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how I hate that some manufacturers feel the need to install special filter-driers where the inlet pipe size is different from the outlet pipe size - What is the purpose of that other than to test our piping and brazing skills on the fly....
    Plus the drier is too small and plugs up all the time.

*cough* trane *cough*
    Quote Originally Posted by tuba View Post

Congratulations tuba! This post is a world summary of our Job (I'm currently in France and there are exactly the same kind of person).

don't ever cut TRANE scroll compressors out with a saws-all just down from the connections TrAnEs piping is different from over the counter couplings...or go in for a raise after banging big time OT on the night service and get a female twit quip you don't need a raise you have all that over time....that I PAYED YOU on that last check
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast