Whos bright idea was this?

I have started with a new company recently and I came across this disgrace. I have always checked this site out and I love it. I finally had to register to share my findings of this weird, crazy stuff

that I think is beneath true professionals who actually take pride in their work, do it right the first time, and provide as much easy access to the service tech as possible.

This company I now work for installed this system (that I will share pics below) and thought it was good to go. They are a residential crew but the install was in a commercial environment.

I grew up in the commercial and industrial HVAC world and thought it would be beneficial to attempt the residential side. However the pay sucks and the competence of the technicians, well

let me just say from what I have seen so far, I'm ready to go back to the dark side of commercial. These guys are so far beyond competent to work in this field. Honestly some of these guys have not

even acquired their CFC license let alone a journeyman or masters license. WTF? There not only using refrigerant, brazing in line sets, but installing new systems and servicing them. No seriously this is true!

The boss claims to be a master in HVAC but it takes this retard to install a simple residential system in 12 hours on the average. Yes he still works in the field. I showed him how to do it in 3 hrs and he

was astonished. Why was he surprised? It's not that difficult. Perhaps he may need to find another hobby.

I'm sure there are great residential techs out there and I mean no harm but they don't work at this company.

Take a look at this install that is less than a year old. The bad thing is that I wear that companies name on my shirt for now but not for long. I think you'll agree that this is hack city and I should run,

run for the hills. No matter, I'll pick up another gig quick. I'm embarrassed to even promote the name of this hack company. The funny thing is they think they are stellar and feel like their providing

good service to their customers. Look I can go on and on I'm just pissed I signed up for this insanity. Please feel free to take a look at the pics and comment if you like. I'm interested in what real pros

of this industry actually think. Most of the people on this site care about are industry, and I applaud you all for that. I'm just upset that I'm currently mixed up with a bunch of hacks for now but better

days are coming.

My regards: pics below;

Keep in mind we are in the Baltimore DC corridor and yes sometimes we get some snow. It often rains here and the ground does become saturated.

The line set your looking at is more that 20 years old and was reused from a R-22 system. The install crew did not replace the line set. My question is why. OK perhaps in some applications Rx may be

appropriate but I asked them if they flushed the line set with Rx-11 and they said "duh whats that?"

The original unit was converted into a 410a unit. Perhaps sleeves through a breech, and a disconnect at basically ground level, including buried refrigerant lines are good practice in bazarro world.

Any thoughts?

Name:  IMG_0010.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  74.1 KBName:  IMG_0011.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  79.1 KBName:  IMG_0012.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  59.2 KBName:  IMG_0013.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  79.3 KBName:  IMG_0014.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  88.9 KBName:  IMG_0015.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  46.0 KB

Oh yeah not to mention that this disconnect is in close proximity to to a hose bib. I'll have to check the local code but it appears to close to the water supply.

I always used rule of thumb of 3 feet circumference between electrical and water supplies. This applies to any water system such as plumbing, water cooled systems and water heat rejection loops.

I it upsets you that much, then you should find another gig. I have to imagine that you'll forever be seeing installs that don't meet your standards. I'm not saying that one is a masterpiece and deserves that you cut them some slack, but compared to the other crap on "the wall", it's not that bad. If it were me, I would take a few minutes and fix things that are easily addressed (the lack of sealant in the penetrations, etc) and write it up on the service ticket for your service manager to see (and ask you about) and let him bring it up to the install department. You'll sound like a whining prima donna if you start complaining to your co-workers. A rising tide lifts all boats.

The pointing of the mortar in those bricks is horrendous, by the way.
    You can't learn a thing with your mouth open.

good advice from hotntired.

if you can show people how to do the job better and faster, everybody wins.
    compressors never die; they're always murdered!

Nice. Looks like they built a nice little bathtub for those electrical boxes.

Your frustration is easily understood, and a good rant can do one good, but doesn't automatically mean you lack diplomacy. Really good advice has been given. You may be better off with another outfit, or you might be the catalyst that changes the standards of the outfit you're with.

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Nice. Looks like they built a nice little bathtub for those electrical boxes.

I was going to say if that water pipe broke, would that man made tub fill with water enough to cover part of the elect box?

Take the time to breathe, its not your fault, but use the advice given and maybe you will be the one to initiate change for the positive. No one likes a complainer, no one is perfect--you never know who is watching you!
    Psalm 51:10, 12

Why was the lineset buried?

From the condition of the box, it looks like it preceded the install in question. Still not right.

Oh, and one more thing; don't poop where you eat....

Quote Originally Posted by hotntired View Post
    I it upsets you that much, then you should find another gig. I have to imagine that you'll forever be seeing installs that don't meet your standards. I'm not saying that one is a masterpiece and deserves that you cut them some slack, but compared to the other crap on "the wall", it's not that bad. If it were me, I would take a few minutes and fix things that are easily addressed (the lack of sealant in the penetrations, etc) and write it up on the service ticket for your service manager to see (and ask you about) and let him bring it up to the install department. You'll sound like a whining prima donna if you start complaining to your co-workers. A rising tide lifts all boats.

The pointing of the mortar in those bricks is horrendous, by the way.
    I agree with this. The OP has a golden opportunity to fix this company and be a leader. The boss may have no idea the issues with their service and install. I have seen a couple of times in my career one man transform a company for the better or worse. I worked at a company that was the go to company for 40 years in my town. The owner and service manager retired and the new owner and service manager have destroyed the company and ruined its reputation in 8 years time. In the same time frame, the company I work for now has grown from an average small company with 3 service techs to 20+ techs with satellite offices covering the state and built a stellar reputation. I give the credit to two guys that did this. They were both service guys(2 of the 3).
    In 1959, Cuba wanted "CHANGE" too.

I was expecting the most horrible thing I ever seen after reading that rant. Grant it, it was pretty ugly but you really shouldn't bash your company like that. Maybe let them know in a nice way how it should've been done. After that rant I don't expect you will be there much longer. Hope boss or coworkers are not members and recognize your pics. That would be funny.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!