Need help on filter sizes - installer wants to use 2" filter?

I'm having a new Trane furnace & AC installed soon. My installer is pushing the electronic filter from Trane but I'm not ready to make that leap. I'm interested in using 4" filters. He said I wouldn't want that (he called it a media filter), he said it's a pretty expensive option and the filters are expensive. He says if I don't get the electronic filter (Clean Effects) I'll get a 2" filter.

I went to Lowes tonight, and they don't have any 2" filters at all. So what is this guy talking about? Also why would it be an expensive option? Is there any reason they can't just make the opening 4" instead of 1 or 2 inches? His bid already includes moving the drop (not sure why, might be a code thing) so is it much more difficult to move it an additional 2 inches to make room for a 4" filter?

I looked at the 4" filters at Lowes, they are cheap. Would be much cheaper than running 1 or 2 inch filters since they aren't changed as often. The 4" filters do say that they are designed to fit Aprilaire/Honeywell/etc units. So I guess they are made to go inside something. But I don't see why I couldn't just have a 4" slot instead of a 1-2 slot and use these.

Thanks for your input. I'm attaching a photo if that helps. My current filter size is 16x25x1.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
    I'm having a new Trane furnace & AC installed soon. My installer is pushing the electronic filter from Trane but I'm not ready to make that leap. I'm interested in using 4" filters. He said I wouldn't want that (he called it a media filter), he said it's a pretty expensive option and the filters are expensive. He says if I don't get the electronic filter (Clean Effects) I'll get a 2" filter.

I went to Lowes tonight, and they don't have any 2" filters at all. So what is this guy talking about? Also why would it be an expensive option? Is there any reason they can't just make the opening 4" instead of 1 or 2 inches? His bid already includes moving the drop (not sure why, might be a code thing) so is it much more difficult to move it an additional 2 inches to make room for a 4" filter?

I looked at the 4" filters at Lowes, they are cheap. Would be much cheaper than running 1 or 2 inch filters since they aren't changed as often. The 4" filters do say that they are designed to fit Aprilaire/Honeywell/etc units. So I guess they are made to go inside something. But I don't see why I couldn't just have a 4" slot instead of a 1-2 slot and use these.

Thanks for your input. I'm attaching a photo if that helps. My current filter size is 16x25x1.
    A merv +10, 24"X24"X4 is a very good filter, long life filter. Although not very profitable for the a/c contractor, they are suggest by many and are practical long term.
    How fresh air ventilation?
    There some other options too, not now.
    A good filter is a start to keep you equipment clean. Most dust that gets into your settles on the flat surfaces and not the filter.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Regarding fresh air - I am meeting with the installer and the Honeywell rep this morning to discuss how to hook up a dehumidifier (I don't think any installer in this area has ever installed a dehumidifier, most tried to talk me out of it). I want to use the optional 6" input on the Honeywell to pull in air from outside.

Back to the filter opening - is there a problem with air leakage if I have them make a 4" filter opening? When I view my current system in operation, the fan holds the filter tightly to the "downwind" side of the ductwork. So if there was any leakage, I would think it would be on the other side - meaning the leaked air gets pulled through the filter.

I use a Honeywell F100 4" media filter in my own home. It gets changed every 3 or 4 months. Your installer should be able to provide and install a 4" cabinet in the return system for a small upgrade fee, and you can change the filters yourself. I usually get my replacement media from Amazon for about $23.
    A colleague prefers the Aprilaire filters and cabinets because he says they have more pleats so the filters are more efficient (more square footage of filter media to process the air) and last longer than a similarly sized Honeywell.

If your air handler is in conditioned space it's no big deal, but if your air handler is in unconditioned space you should have a filter cabinet instead of just a slot for a filter, as the cabinets are much more airtight. A filter slot in an unconditioned mechanical room/closet/attic/basement can suck humid unconditioned air in and force the cooling system to condition it, thus making it work harder. There may be some other concerns related to gas burning appliances in the same space, if they exist. If you do want fresh air brought in, it's better to bring it in directly from outside rather than stagnant air from the basement, attic, or garage with all of the odors generally associated with those places.