Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Have you seen the black coating that's on some commercial coils for corrision? Looks like a thin layer of LineX. They have it on some of the PoolPaks. Conducts heat well. Seems like Florida Heat Pump or Weather King would come up with something.

I have to replace one on Oak Island in a few weeks.I pressure tested the line set and the liguid line blew apart.And was gone.you could bend the 3/8 line with 2 fingers what was left anyway.Going to replace the 2 ton a/c with of course a new lineset.

Prob a good solution while not cost effective is a water source hp.U can put the condenser pretty much anywhere to keep it out of the salt air.

Just curious...how do you guys handle corroded/damaged linesets in multistory beach condos? I've been fortunate enough to find other chases to run new linesets down, but I know this won't always be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by tpa-fl View Post
    Just curious...how do you guys handle corroded/damaged linesets in multistory beach condos? I've been fortunate enough to find other chases to run new linesets down, but I know this won't always be the case.
    Good question, on the ones here replacing the lineset isnt an option, I find lots of leaks where the lines are spliced and exposed to the elements, we usually replace the portion we can get to and insulate the liquid line also to protect it

I dread the day we have to start using 410a equipment in these buildings, many of them have 1/4" liquid lines running 3 floors up to the air handlers

Running a new line set would be quite a luxury in the condos
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Yup luckly this is a fist floor job with a drop ceiling so it wont be bad.We are going to insulate the liguid line to protect it.Also using liguid tight for the electrical and the control wires.The house is 30 years old in good shape.The last time this was replaced it was done by a family friend so he did it on the cheap and cut many corners.Now its my turn to make it right.Should have it done in one day.

is this a .0000005 seer?
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

I work in costal SC. We spray ALL our warranty coils before they go out. We even sell condensers sprayed entirely in heresite for ocean front houses. I don't think it's ever enough because the spray can't get everywhere.

Has anyone used "Corrosion Grenades"? They are a zinc ball which you attach near the coil. The zinc is supposed to act as an anode, but the surface area versus the coil seems much too small to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tpa-fl View Post
    We do alot of them here, we have to get access to every condo in the stack(linesets run up through each ahu closet) between the unit in question and the roof and use a tripod on the roof with a come-along on to pull new lineset through using the old lineset. Most of the time the leak is close to the top and we only pull through what we need to.

On the condos that use the through the wall type condenser on the rear patio, we have to pull the new lineset through the duct from front to rear(60 ft), exit the trunkline(ductboard) next to the last register ,go across and down the bedroom wall with acr, drill through the concrete block to where the condenser sits on the back patio. The HO then has to have crown molding installed in the bedroom to cover the linset/wiring. These are a real PITA because the trunkline doesn't go straight through, there are a few turns. It usually takes 2 guys about 10-12 hours to do.

thermoguard

you might be willing to have alook at www.thermoguard.net

Quote Originally Posted by hvaceric View Post
    You mean there is a good place for those spine fin things? I'll ship you all of them

About 5 months around here and they are plugged with cottonwood seed again

I have a Trane spine finned c/u at my beach house. It's been going for 10 years with no corrosion...

Quote Originally Posted by hvaceric View Post
    You mean there is a good place for those spine fin things? I'll ship you all of them

About 5 months around here and they are plugged with cottonwood seed again

Cottonwood is common here too. Blowtorch cleans 'm up quick. Check with your distributer if you have doubts, but that is the recommended cleaning method.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Swampfox,

When I lived in FL I sold a lot of air cooled condensers to Winn Dixie, Patrick AFB and a few others that were coated with a product called Adsil.

http://www.adsil.com/products/hvac.htm

They use factory authorized HVAC contractors to apply their product. Check it out, maybe you can make a few extra bucks as a Adsil contractor.

Of course my standard 10% commission will apply.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast