Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chilled water on HVAC question

I am new in the facilities area of a data center and am requesting assistance with a question in regard on what to do in a certain circumstance. Any feedback would be appreciated. Here is the scenario:

I have chilled water temps at 85 degrees and the computer room is stuffy. The CRU's are receiving High Head Pressure warnings. What should I be checking for?

The phone number of a qualified HVAC technician that the building you are located in uses for such issues would be the place to start. If chilled water temps are up to 85*F you have chiller related, building controls or electrical issues way above the possibilities of being answered here with your given information. This is not a "do it yourself" site-GEO
    Last edited by ga1279; 07-02-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Last line addition
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

thanks for your response

Do you mean condenser water temps or do you have dual cooling units? If condenser water is 85 inlet and outlet you have no flow or seriously dirty condensers.

If the chilled water temp is 85 the chiller is likely not running. Call an hvac contractor.

So janet1705 what did you find out yesterday ?
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

I would say she found out the chillers were down. Bad way to learn a new job.

I would think that may have been it, but as I said this is not a "DYI place and I don't want janet1705 to get injured trying to reset something she knows nothing about.

Hard to say, but if a data room's chilled water temps are 85, I doubt "stuffy" would properly describe the climate lol. Made me think she meant condenser water.

While I agree with your thoughts, as I had several data centers that used some medium (water, water and glycol as a condensing fluid, 85 would not be considered abnormally high. That same number as chilled water, not so much. Which would explain "stuffy".-GEO

Quote Originally Posted by duckman373 View Post
    Hard to say, but if a data room's chilled water temps are 85, I doubt "stuffy" would properly describe the climate lol. Made me think she meant condenser water.
    I agree. I've heard a cooling tower called a chiller before. I've also heard a roof-mounted chiller called a rooftop unit too. People not in the trade have a hard time with the nomenclature. Come to think of it, so do some in the trade ....

If it is a network / computer data room, I would think 65/72 degrees space temp would be ideal .

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    I agree. I've heard a cooling tower called a chiller before. I've also heard a roof-mounted chiller called a rooftop unit too. People not in the trade have a hard time with the nomenclature. Come to think of it, so do some in the trade ....
    Amen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast