Thread: RTAC Condenser cleaning

Post Likes

RTAC Condenser cleaning

Our building has only one chiller, a Trane RTAC 2254, this unit has two refrigerant circuits. Is there a way to shut down one circuit at a time through the CH530 controller so that I can clean one side at a time without losing all my cooling?
    I want to backwash the condensers early in the morning when it is cooler and when it will be cool enough where I might only need one circuit to cool the building. Thanks for any help.

Post Likes
    I do not reccomend cleaning coils with chiller running. Ciruit locked out or not.

Post Likes
    Shut it down and lock it out. Bad things can and do happen when you get after one of these with a water hose while still energized. Do it 3rd shift if you have to but lock it out. Good luck.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-11-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Post Likes
    we have first hand pics at our shop of one of these compressors blowing the peckerhead off after a start up. the fireball was 20ft up and engulfed the underside of the chiller. dont do it.

and yes you can lock it out from the 530. your choice, your destiny, you have been informed.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    we have first hand pics at our shop of one of these compressors blowing the peckerhead off after a start up. the fireball was 20ft up and engulfed the underside of the chiller. dont do it.

and yes you can lock it out from the 530. your choice, your destiny, you have been informed.
    Wow, that is crazy. That is routine for us to do....

Post Likes
    I wouldn't have the other circuit running while I was doing the section where you have to crawl under the coils. I don't want that crap and chemicals blowing around me. But I would be ok cleaning the section where you are outside, while the other circuit is running.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Wow, that is crazy. That is routine for us to do....
    We are not allowed to work within reason under a running aircooled.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TTer. View Post
    Not certain if you are able to shut it down from 530 panel but if you have techview you can shut it down.
    This is the Ask Our Pro's or AOP forum. In order to post responses here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. Please see my signature line for links to register and review the AOP Forum Rules. Thank you. Your post will now be deleted. Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in