controls for freeze protection

I have a system with three air handlers,one of which is in the attic.We are putting in a new boiler with tekmar control. Is there a way to set up a contol of to protect the unit in the attic against freezing. I know the loss of electricty is a liability, but we have a PV system to cover that end of the equation.

1. Put glycol in the system.

2. Put a freeze stat in the supply duct, if you have supply duct that runs inside the building. If you only have ductwork in the attic then this won't work as you'll get nuisance trips.

3. Put in a programmable controller with the logic that it will only shut down the fan if the outside air and mixed/supply air are both below 38 deg. F for 5-10 minutes and the indoor blower is proofed on. Here you would also want to turn the pump on if it cycles off and open the mixing valve/hot water valve to the ah heating coil so you have full flow. Then also have an alarm generated to someone that can take care of the problem in a relatively quick manner. Send it out via phone call, email, text message, and/or alarm with red light and a buzzer to where someone would likely be in the area to notify someone to handle it.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Which air handler manufacturer? I ask because most of them have a freeze stat as an option.

The units are First Company units, two are 36vdx-3hw,one is a 24max-3hw. Older units that have been in use for about 17 years.

Spring return actuators and a freezestat. Wire freezestat to kill power to the fan / econ dampers / heating valve. Freeze condition then closes OA damper, shutdown the fan and spring open the HW valve.

For units, that old, you will have to contact them directly
    firstco.com

I agree with this. Just make sure the freezestat is correctly installed and that there isn't severe stratification in the unit, and you'll be good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    Spring return actuators and a freezestat. Wire freezestat to kill power to the fan / econ dampers / heating valve. Freeze condition then closes OA damper, shutdown the fan and spring open the HW valve.
    Dingman from Iowa~
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Dingman's webpage, featuring the Ding_Z